St. Damien of Molokai Comments

The Leper Priest, the Hero of Molokai. Born in Tremelo, Belgium, on January 3, 1840, he joined the Sacred Hearts Fathers in 1860. He was bom Joseph and received the name Damien in religious life. In 1864, he was sent to Honolulu, Hawaii, where he Was ordained. For the next nine years he worked in missions on the big island, Hawaii. In 1873, he went to the leper colony on Molokai, after volunteering for the assignment. Damien cared for lepers of ... Continue Reading

1. Marilyn Suezo Llanos
    8 months ago

Father Damien, please protect my only daughter Louise from any illness and sickness in her life that will prevent her from doing the things she loves, nursing the sick and the infirm . Please give her good health and intercede for her to Our Lord Jesus.

2. fleet general unknown usmc usnf acmf *****

11th/12th oct 2013:st damien joseph msc pray for us.

3. Joseph Mathew

Fr. Damien, Your life dedicated to self-giving love is a great inspiration for all of us. Please continue to pray for us.

4. maria le

on the his feast day i was at home with my hubby and my parent we where getting for church. we where talk about are soon to be born son and his name James - Henry . they where fine with James but not Henry i wanted to name Henry but i got a fight in sited so i side fine the first name i hear it will be and not form them so we went to church i sat down then fr. Joe come running down to the front of the church and says we are no longer fr. Damien we are now st. Damien church so my son name is now and always will be James - Damien we were living in Hawaii at the time i think that god and st. Damien were listening that day and have fun

5. Mona

Please pray for Jacob that he finds the right path, for his parents that they find the strenght and wisdom to guide him, anmd for all cancer patients that they deal with their disease with grace and dignity. Thank you.

6. christie

St Damien, the Great Belgian, I praise God for your life of sacrifice and dedication to the lepers of Hawaii. It is lovely to read the defense of Robert Lewis Stevenson, in clearing your name. And to know that the famous Indian freedom fighter, Mahatma Gandhi emulated your example. Dear Saint pray for all peoples who are crucified to their beds, waiting to die with dignity and peace. Grant healing to all children who suffer from mental and physical disorders. Amen.

7. Joseph Mathew

Fr. Damien, please continue to pray for me to become more dedidicated, sincere, patient and forbearing in serving others.

8. christopher

St damien you are a great saint not many people would do wat you have done
    god bless you and please pray for me and my family thank you
    Amen

9. paddy mc evoy

I would like to have your permission to copy this article and send it to a young man Named Damien who did a very kind act for us, we were in Rome on oct 11, for cannonization of Father Damien, Jeanne Jugan Foundress of the little sisters of the poor.

Very sincerely yours ,
    Paddy Mc Evoy

10. Damien Abeyratne

I'm from sri lanka I'm looking to purchase the book of St Damien Life story please help me to have one Im so glad to have a Sait like St Damien as my patron saint

11. William McKeown

When I was in grammer school (I graduated in 1950), there was a movie shown regarding Father, now Saint, Damien. It was quite long and shown in all the Catholic schools. In the movie, the way Saint Damien announced his leprosy was his, probably Sunday, homily. His opening words were "We lepers...". I wonder if that movie is still around, maybe buried in some archives.j
    Bill

12. christie

St. Damien, all the world over should be in awe of your loving and compassionate service to lepers. From the time of Christ, up to recent times these poor lepers lived in isolation, in colonies, to prevent the disease from spreading. I remember visiting a leper colony in Malaysia, where we found that they had a self sufficient community, growing fruit, vegetables, flowers etc. They even had their own currency. When I was in Mali (West Africa) this disease was prevalent, common and often went untreated. It is sad that today, when there is a known cure for this infectious disease, there are still so many left to suffer its disfiguring effects. St. Damien, on your feast day pray for all those suffering from leprosy. Amen

13. Joann Miller

I was surprised to find that anyone could ever have found fault with Saint Damien and I was glad to learn that R. L. Stevenson had defended him so brilliantly, as well as Ghandi. We sometimes have a tendency to hold back if we feel that our health could be compromised when we are caring for someone and we see what good and selfless man Saint Damien was when he cared for the lepers. What a wonderful inspiration he is. Thank you for giving me information that I had never heard before.

14. N.J. Joseph

I respect and honor St. Damien as a real human being so concerened with the sufferings of fellow human beings.

15. lawrence

this site hepled alot

16. debra

Thanks! Why is the tree and the dove symbols for St. Damien? I wish you had more on him.

17. Joseph Mathew

I am a regular subscriber of Catholic Online. The lives of saints are a great inspiration to me in serving others, by seeing the image of God in them! Thank you Fr. Damien; please intercede for me.

18. Gina Steffl

This is one of the most amazing acts of kindness, love and charity that i have ever heard. Saint Damien of Molokai is a perfect example for each of us to follow!

19. Greg

I thought St. Damien's feast day was May 10 which was the day Fr Damien landed in Hawaii? I love the saint though and have read all about him. A great modern example of giving.

20. Jenny

I'm doing an assignment on him at school. I love this site.