St. Basil the Great Comments

St. Basil the Great was born at Caesarea of Cappadocia in 330. He was one of ten children of St. Basil the Elder and St. Emmelia. Several of his brothers and sisters are honored among the saints. He attended school in Caesarea, as well as Constantinople and Athens, where he became acquainted with St. Gregory Nazianzen in 352. A little later, he opened a school of oratory in Caesarea and practiced law. Eventually he decided to become a monk and ... Continue Reading

1. livebyfaith

this is to Jason...Catholics DO NOT worship saints.. Catholics honor them because these saints worked so hard to reach holiness and we all need to reach holiness just like them..... Not all Saints perfomed miracles.. Some are known for being humble.. they are all different and each of them have their own stories.

2. jason

I thought saints had to perform some documented miracle to become a saint, but I could be wrong as i am not catholic and we do not worship saints.
    maybe i missed it in the article , but it looks like he was just a learned monk.

3. Marc

Yeah Man, Basil is wicked awesome. ;;]

4. Judith Cebedo

I was informed Basil is also very good in leadership, getting his point across warring faction and bringing them together to his way of thinking and making people work together effectively. He is people-oriented that is why he is patron saint of hospital administrators because of his effectiveness working with people. I just thought you would have a more lengthy discussion/narration of his life, just like St. Gregory of Nazianzen. I was hoping I will have more readings and I was just surprise of the one paragraph compared to St. Gregory.

5. Colette

Why don't we celebrate his Feast here in America. We should promote his name and baptise our boys after him.

6. BasilPesto

I wish more people were like St. Basil!!! Especially these days.....

7. Ben

But how did St. Basil die? and why?

8. Summer

Whoah, Saint Basil is wicked awesome. I did a school report on him and everyone thought he was cool. It's also pretty sick that basil is my favorite herb! :]