St. Teresa of Avila Comments

Less than twenty years before Teresa was born in 1515, Columbus opened up the Western Hemisphere to European colonization. Two years after she was born, Luther started the Protestant Reformation. Out of all of this change came Teresa pointing the way from outer turmoil to inner peace. Teresa's father was rigidly honest and pious, but he may have carried his strictness to extremes. Teresa's mother loved romance novels but because her husband ... Continue Reading

1. May D'souza

Very touching commentary. Makes me want to pray more sincerely!

2. c.t.sol.

Isn't that a Grace, that through St. Teresa's and her families' strife she brings so many blessings to us because indeed she was chosen by God for us! She is not only my confirmation name, but Tersian Carmelite names sake also. Let's pray that many of you who chose her for your confirmation also join the Order of the Discalced Carmelites Seculars or their first orders as God Wills.

3. LRoy

It's not the headaches that need to be eliminated but the cause of the headaches. In my case, sinuses, allergies and/or hormone imbalances. And that's basically year round to one degree or another.

Still, I'd rather have a temporary headache than something more serious that REALLY makes me sick.

4. Carlos

You can find her books and those of a LOT of saints, such as St. Catherine of Siena, St.Therese of Lisieux, St. John Marie Vianney in the "iPieta" application for iPod/ iTouch/iPad for, I think, around $7.

5. connie

i have been reading saints of the day for a couple years now from another site
    this one is awesome and i am soooo glad to have found it
    love it and can't wait until i can read the next one

6. Rev. Meg Schramm

Not bad for a Jewish girl whose family only converted to Catholisism in order to stay in Spain when the rest of their community was persecuted and driven out. I am a Christian and I intend to stay that way, and I would never allow any government to tell me what religion to be. If I was told to change my religion or be tortured, I would be tortured. If I was told to change my religion or leave my home, I would leave my home. I am very sure she is answering to God...her family was of his Chosen People, and they chose to change that rather than to face difficulties.

7. jacky

actually why is st.theresa of avila, helpful for headache sufferers? and this article is really a different experience about a saint and feels too good .st .theresa pray for us. and i feel about all the saints the article should be descriptive like this one,where you get to feel the saint and not just read out bluntly.

8. Catholic

Saint Teresa of Avila, pray for us!

9. Ronald Morrow

What a lovely person. Imagine going through all of those trials and yet rising above each one for the glory of Christ. Mental prayer affords one the opportunity to listen to Christ and to respond accordingly. It removes the spoken words that seem to be more animated thus making it harder to listen to HIM. But neither way is wrong as God likes to hear from us not only vocally and mentally but also in the way we live our lives. If St. Tersa of Avila were alive today and lived the same way there is no doubt that she would be criticised by her religious peers and Church hierarchy..

10. chandran james

I am so taken by the transformation wrought by the loving God in a sinner like Teresa to a great Doctor of the Church, St. Teresa that I have decided to publish her life story to others.

11. james chandran

after reading the life of a sinner turned saint in Teresa of Avila, I am convinced if copies of her biography are circulated in our parish especially the women, many would benefit by it. Because God loves even the hardcore sinners and abundant graces flow through them once forgiven. An excellent model for girls of this age!

12. vivian

This is not just a story but, also an eye openner for every one striving to live a holy life. having known that St. theresa went through all the temptations we face, we shoud not hesistate to stand each time we fall. St. Theresa, pray for us.

13. Yvette Dsouza, India

Thank you for this wonderful article. Keeps us in tune that she was human like me but made LOVE her first choice.

Will remember St. Threasa's words always :
    "Prayer is an act of love, words are not needed. Even if sickness distracts from thoughts, all that is needed is the will to love."

Warm regards
    yvette

14. M. Y. Lo

The books by St. Teresa of Avila:

The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus (The Autobiography)

The Way of Perfection

The Interior Castle (The Mansion)

15. Fidelia Ngozi Achonu

St Teresa's story is so touching. What a great saint! I dont know how to get the book on prayer written by her.

16. Pathikulangara Abraham George

Very simple to read, understand and meditate. St. Teresa of Avila's
    special liking for romance novels is an addition to my knowledge about
    her life. Thank you Fr. Nalkara.

17. Teresa

This was very useful 4 me to find information for my projet yer!!! :) :)

18. Natale

I am so inspired by Saint Teresa of Avila that I am choosing her for my Confirmation name. I think she was a very strong and independent women and i would love to have her name. :)

19. Tyler

This article really helps with my homework. Thanks
    5 STARS!!!

20. Eleanor

Wow, love this saint and im happy im getting her as my confirmation saint. this information really helped with my notes and homework :) wish i was her.