St. Jerome Comments

St. Jerome, who was born Eusebius Hieronymous Sophronius, was the most learned of the Fathers of the Western Church. He was born about the year 342 at Stridonius, a small town at the head of the Adriatic, near the episcopal city of Aquileia. His father, a Christian, took care that his son was well instructed at home, then sent him to Rome, where the young man's teachers were the famous pagan grammarian Donatus and Victorinus, a Christian ... Continue Reading

1. James m. Ryerson

St. Peter's in Rome is not a cathedral. St. John's is the cathedral.

2. christie

Dear St. Jerome, your self-discipline and outright bluntness against evil is something I admire, and deem as good qualities. Not many in high positions have the grace to do so. Not many desire to be truthful on account of the wish to be popular. Your criticisms of women's makeup was hilarious, so too your observation of vainglorious dressing among the clergy, nonetheless what you said was true. St. Jerome, Doctor of the Church, I had a great time reading about your life, about which we are blessed to have so much on this website. Thanks to Catholic online.
    St. Jerome, pray for me to guide my students by giving them honest opinions about how they are to improve in both character and performance. Give all children with fragile X a chance to live a normal life. Shouldn't they have access to knowledge and learning?
    St. Jerome, give all Catholics an undying love for Christ. Your example is truly inspiring. Pray for us. Amen.

3. Joseph Santiago cmf

He showed a deep reverence,respect and devotion to the Sacred Scriptures and loved with all his hearts as the source of life. He died in Bethelehem where Jesus was born.He said" Ignorance of Christ is Ignorance of the Christ. I like these statement.

4. a sinner

It would be impossible for jackie to "revisit" 8th grade until she leaves it, which I hope she will do with flying colors. People often use a lower standard of literacy in favor of speed for things like email, text messages and even comments on web pages. Wouldn't it be better to commend a young person for researching her saint report and taking time to thank catholic.org?

5. Helene Merlinski

Regarding the comment posted on December 9th, 2010, 4:56 pm, perhaps "jackie" might revisit 8th grade and discover capital letters, which are usually found at the beginning of personal names. One hopes the person expected to award her an "A" was not bothered by her inability to correctly spell biography, accurate, numerous and receiving?

And you wonder why America is slipping in the international league tables! Judging from the comments posted above, nobody in this country can either spell or punctuate.

6. Josh Gowar

St.Jerome Please Pray for me to Have the Lord's Guidance and Provisional Blessing in all that I am to do now. Whether to stay where I am or to go where the Lord desires me to. Please pray for my discernment and wisdom! Thank You and God Bless all of you!

7. Marilyn Steinmetz

Does anyone know why St Jerome is usually pictured in an orange colored robe?

8. uncrewedOrc7

omg!!! St. Jerome is legendary thank you for that information it has helped alot

9. Michael

I am doing a school history project on St. Jerome and this [age is so helpful to me.

10. Stephen

Thank you for this very good article about St. Jerome. Well written, is your name Jerome also?! We could use a guy like Jerome now in our times, but he was so valuable in his time. God does marvolous things with people sometimes. Jerome is a good example that being a saint does not require perfection in thought or deed. But St. Jerome perfected his talents, and then tirelessly served God with them. What a choice he made to stick to the work that he was gifted for. I am more impressed by his effort then his ability. Job well done!! It must have required much grace from above. So it doesn't really matter what you do, just how and why you do it! Thanks be to God

11. Jerome Sophronius

Hello. This is actually Jerome, in heaven. We just recently got internet and google so i found this and ... Thank all of you for the kindness. But dont talk about me anymore i dont like you guys

12. Chase

My uncle thought he was St. Jerome.

13. Nireeksha

I THINK THAT ST.JEROME IS INSPIRATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. James P. Burke, Jr.

I am a cradle Catholic; a graduate of Jesuit High School and College. Of all the courses I have had in religious topics, I found this discussion on St. Jerome, the most interesting and complete of any topic to date. I have been party to a number of discussions about this saint, but many of these discussions have been very critical of his attitude toward women. It was refreshing to read a biography that is so well balanced toward his devotion to his faith and his personal characteristics. Thank you for this opportunity to comment.

15. Jared F.

This was the most helpful site that I have seen so far I need info on st Jerome because he is my confirmation saint. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. jackie:)

hi!
    well i have been doing a saint biogrophy project for my 8th grade religion class and this, by far, has been the most helpful and acurate website-which i have decided after comparing nuemorous amounts of information.
    I would like to thank you for all of your help . wish me luck -for because of you chances are i will be reciveing an A for this specified project

17. Judy

Seeing St Jerome's temperament even when he was making corrections, it makes me understand that really God can make saints or doctor of the church of anyone. What can make a difference is how much is one willing to do for the love even though he/she may not understand it as love for Him at the time when one is doing it.

18. St.Jerome

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!! for all your good comments THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Alex

St. Jerome is truly inspirational

20. Erica Andrews

Why isn't the author listed?