Ivy League Professor's Remarks about Race and God Exemplify Disgraceful Leadership in America Comments

Anthea Butler's comments about race and God in response to the not guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman trial are not a reflection of Catholicism. The Catholic Church is about truth, unity, beauty, and goodness not division and hatred. Continue Reading

1. abey

Which is but to say "darkness" always ens up blaming god, until His Light is seen, which Light is The Life

2. John David

Yet another example of one person trying to hold back an entire section of our population based on a perception of Entitlement because of an event that occurred over 200 pluse years ago. Why isn't this same "educator" looking beyond our borders back at the African tribes who captured and sold their own people into slavery? Is it because she and others like her can't face the real truth about slavery? Why blame God for what she causes herself? Nothing like blaming one segment of the population for the problems of another group, that way Liberals can continue to feel the "guilt" they are constantly being reminded to feel. This person needs to take an anger management course soon.

Ours is a good and generous God, and one that acts in ways we won't always understand. Why are many like the person in this story so quick to forget the good things that God does for us, instead of blaming our God for their problems? Maybe she should sacrifice some chickens and see where that gets her?

3. Andrew

It's discouraging to see someone as hateful as Ms. Butler promoting her perspective to students. Her skewed viewpoint illustrates an obviously disturbed individual, who should not be in a position of any type of authority or responsibility. She seems to have her mind rooted in a past culture, with no ideas based upon our current environment.

4. Brad

I agree with her and I find your assertions are at least equally if not more biased than hers. Right-wing Catholics like you do not have a monopoly on truth.

5. Eileen

I'm not sure Ms. Butler's public comments should be considered news. She appears to be a biased woman without respect for people of all races, from all cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. Then I noticed the subheading under Catholic Online Inform - Inspire - Ignite. It seems that the inclusion of this article is trying to ignite readers against black, professional women who speak what's on their minds. This article did not inform, inspire or ignite me. I feel sorry for Ms. Butler as she is leading a life without a knowledgeable relationship with God.

6. Holly

Looks like Anthea Butler is venting generations of frustration in her comments. Here's a little story: One of my military comrades converted to Catholicism. He was impressed by their stand on segregation and other such Jim Crow institutions. He was assigned to a duty station in the South and enrolled his kids in a parochial school. When he went to enroll, they said - "your school is over there." It didn't even meet the concept of separate but equal. Needless to say he was somewhat disillusioned about the whole thing. Phil Donahue went to the Archbishop of Cincinnati to get support in protest against discrimination. The comment he received: "The poor you always have with you." Ms Butler is probably thinking of Emmet Till; Poplarville,MS; the Tom Coleman caper in Hayneville, AL and other such things Oh yeah, Dr. Drew, the dude who developped the blood plasma, who bled to death outside a hospital that wouldn't admit him because of his race. Ms Butler, I can feel for you. What surprises me is that the Black community has shown so much patience and restraint. Let's face it people get acquitted for killing Blacks. What if the shoe were on the other foot and Martin had killed Zimmerman?

7. Michael

And I should care about the comments others make why?

8. Proteios1

Only in America can ahispanic man shoot a black man and white people are blamed.

Enough with the racism. Overcompensation for the slaves I've never owned, the mortgages I never denied and the violence I never inflicted has permitted blacks to have a free ride in developing thir own version of racism. Some pretty hardcore stuff too. From black panthers advocating the rape of white women, murder of white men to the new panthers who have taken the anger and violence inherent within islam, just like Mr. X, and applied that hatred and racist religion of theirs to American black life. Well, they are wrong and all it has done has hurt their subculture and race relations. They are wrong! And I am not the enemy.

9. Jeffrey Pickett

And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time?43“Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes.44“Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions.45“But if that slave says in his heart, ‘My master will be a long time in coming,’ and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk;46the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers.47“And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes,48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.
    49“I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled!50“But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished!51“Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division;52for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three.53“They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
    LUKE 12:42-53

10. robertburford

I have listened to the comments of some of the black people at my place of employment and they reflect similar attitudes. I see their opinion as understandable that they feel Martin was stalked(hunted) by a white man and was defending himself. However, this ladies comments were so far out of line that I have to attribute them to emotion and not to reason. No one ever talks about the white slavery in this world. We have sweat shops all over the world that make our clothes and with no regard for color of skin. Our God is the God of all of this and He does not approve of any of it. I am not sure how Obama's administration had anything to do with her comments but the administration is certainly looking into the facts and I see nothing wrong with transparency . Public pressure made the Sanford police bring a case to court and Mr Zimmerman was found innocent. Public pressure will make the administration look into the case but that is transparency and that is good. Self defense has nothing to do with stand your ground laws and nothing to do with the civil rights of the deceased. Not sure what will come of this but transparency is a good thing.