Marriage Loses: US Supreme Court Holds Defense of Marriage Act Unconstitutional, Dismisses Prop 8 Comments

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013, the United States Supreme Court, in a 5-4 opinion, struck down the Defense of Marriage Act as unconstitutional.In addition to the ruling striking down the Defense of Marriage Act, the Court held that the parties who brought the Proposition 8 Case, Hollingsworth v. Perry, had no legal standing to be heard and therefore the Court had no jurisdiction.For  anyone who had any doubt, today's Supreme Court decision ... Continue Reading

1. JOHN

THE SUPRME JUDGE, WHO IS ABOVE OBAMA AND KENNEDY HAS SPOKEN ,"marriage is between one man and one woman".. by the way, if I am taking care of my elderly mother, can I now share also her benefits, as two men or two women living together now share also the of each other????

2. Vance

Marriage loses, our nation loses, our Church loses and all humanity loses. We can say that this is a lose-lose situation. 52% of Catholics voted for this.

3. mike

I think the heirarchy-laity communication connection had better start finding a new way to communicate. We are going to have to define and develop a functional UNDERGROUND network. Obviously without any digital communication. Word of mouth somehow. Here in the land of Mordor, with Sauroman as our overlord, the heat is going to be coming our way, and sooner than you might imagine. First we want to take care of our own. Then spread the Faith by manifest deeds. Explain it upon inquiry, privately. Got any ideas?

4. Edju

Ironic isn't it, that the only commenter so far who doesn't sound like a total drama queen is the gay guy (Mark G)?

Congrats Mark, and speaking as a straight Catholic I too hope and pray that our Church can finally start getting its priorities straight.

5. goodwater

It's time the Church leaders instruct young couples who plan to get married NOT to obtain a state marriage license as doing such acknowledges that the State is superior to Church teachings.

6. Jon Matthew

Genesis 18:22 So the men turned from there, and went toward Sodom, while Abraham remained standing before the Lord.[f] 23 Then Abraham came near and said, “Will you indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?

Please more Lord please spare the righteous in America. My Lady of Fatima please pray that the buring sword is spared on the righteous in America.

The Heresy of Homosexuality is upon us now.

Have Mercy my Lord and my God upon the righteous who lost the battle in our Country!

7. abey

The nation has signed its own death warrant with the courts that seem to follow the Clinton's in their altered status.

8. Irl Gladfelter

Quote: "Experience and history have shown us that if the civil government redefines marriage to grant a legal equivalency to same-sex couples, that same government will then enforce such an action with the police power of the State and compel the Church to participate or face consequences."

My Comment: It seems that the Church can do what is done in other countries: Ask couples to first be married by a civil authority. Then, the Church will administer the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony (only) to those eligible to receive it under its own doctrines and Canon Law. The State has no competence to tell a Church who may or may not receive its own Sacraments or what it may or may not believe, even under oppression by the State's Police Powers.

9. John Mainhart

I agree with most of what you say and I certainly believe that Catholics do themselves a great disservice by looking at issues as conservative and liberal Christ was neither conservative or liberal but addressed each moral issue as a matter of addressing ,the truth.

I believe this decision was a cowardly one. Any legal system that makes a decision before defining the issue itself is trying to avoid a fight. They could just as well ,as defined marriage before taking the jump to process, and then they could have advised the states about the importance of the real definition of marriage. Since the culture is geared toward making ,compromises because we think fighting is wrong, our Supreme Court represents who we are, the ,majority of ,us. They apparently never read the most important book in the history of mankind, the Bible, even out of curiosity. Had they read it they would have concluded that evil must be confronted.

10. Mark Green

I am a catholic and a gay man.
    Today gives me hope that our corrupted clergy will realize it is better to spend its parishioners' dollars on feeding the poor rather than fighting marriage equality.
    Catholic should focus on love and respect.