Pope Francis: Open the Door to Faith and Do Not Try to Control Comments

"Think about a single mother who goes to church, in the parish and to the secretary she says: 'I want my child baptized'. And then this Christian, this Christian says: 'No, you cannot because you're not married!'. But look, this girl who had the courage to carry her pregnancy and not to return her son to the sender, what is it? A closed door! This is not zeal! It is far from the Lord! "It does not open doors! Continue Reading

1. Raymond Horvath

Child baptism is accepted by the Church as long as the child's Catholic upbringing is ensured.

2. Tom McGuire

Francis, thank you for opening doors. I know how much people want to be touched by the Lord. So many have been hurt by the sacrament of pastoral customs. Would it not be wonderful to develop a pastoral ministry based on the recognition of people needing to be touched by the Lord? Less focus on the terrible things of the present time and political issues, and more focus on how to respond to the overwhelming desire for the touch of the Lord would do wonders to bring about the Reign of God.

3. Amaka obijiaku

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me and on the whole word

4. Elizabeth Chircop

Very inspiring! It helps to remove prejudice on certain situations: What is the fault of the child of an unmarried mother? No fault at all! So why should a priest refuse to Baptize him. The fact that his mother asks to baptize him means that she wants to bring him up in the Catholic Faith, so why deny him this opportunity?!

5. Trinbagonian

Thank you Papa for your guidance on these issues.

I wish to publicly thank Father Wilfred John of St. John's Parish Diego Martin Trinidad (the parish of my childhood); he did not close the door to me and welcomed my marriage as a revert to Catholicism. This was a very difficult thing for my husband, still not yet reverted to Catholicism. My husband though, in love, gave in to my request to have our civil marriage convalidated by the Catholic Church. Thank you Holy Spirit. Thank you Holy Mary.
    Father John was very patient with him. This time was very trying for my husband and I. My husband asked many questions, brought up many hurts and issues. I just prayed about the whole thing and hoped that eventually my marriage will be validated by the Church. Father John was gentle.He was so kind - I really wondered if he was supposed to be so welcoming to me and my husband. If it was okay with the Church. But you Papa have put my concerns to rest. Thank you Papa.
    In the end that door that Father John opened was left wide open to my husband (for his eventual return with God's Grace). My husband was extremely comfortable and feels a whole lot better now. At the end of the convalidation service, he thanked Father John and (with eyes welling up) he told him "You are a comforting man, a real comforting man".
    Now things are much better between my husband and I. He has experienced such a peace. He does not feel that the Church is stealing me or worries about me being taken over by the Church.
    Thank you too Father Hadyn, St. Finbar's Parish. Your gentle spiritual direction is greatly valued by me. You were the one that planted the seed. You presented the possiblity for convalidation - I didn't know about this. I didn't think my husband would do it but you planted in my heart the reality that it could happen.
    What a wonderful thing the priesthood! May all be able to experience the priesthood and the Church in fullness, I pray. Amen! Love you all!!

6. Luke Okwaraudu

I have learnt from the article. It is wonderful, touching and simple.

7. Ron McBride

This Holy Father is coming to the fore with his ideas of Church, theology, pastoral approaches, the human condition, social matters and what Jesus "really wants", etc. And why not? He's embracing his position as leader of the Church on earth in the way(s) he sees Catholic Christianity as necessarily being. One can not detect that he's anywhere close to being the antithesis of Benedict XVI; not nearly as yet, anyway. Another "pope of the people" would seem to be an idea taking shape.

8. john carroll

I like the words of our new pope francis1st , ifollow him and his word every day, and I hope he will take the catholic church back to respectability, a good start is go back to Vatican 2 and put in order what john 23rd started, I have faith in it and the pope. a church for the poor especially.

GOD BLESS

9. Fr Bill

I cannot think of a reason to deny Baptism to anyone.

10. Onyimary

The pope's homily is very simple and concise, but it speaks volume that goes straight to the heart. Indeed he speaks as a pastor of souls which he is.