Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus Comments

Hard to really capture in words, the act of kneeling and receiving the Eucharist on the tongue has deepened my  affection for Jesus and given me opportunity to pay Him homage in way that I'd previously been neglecting. Understandably the devoted are no longer required to kneel and for some people the position may be impossible, but for me there is no longer any other way. Not because I think myself a better Catholic (I am not), but because ... Continue Reading

1. Erin Pascal

This article is amazing. Thank you for sharing this! I learned a lot from reading this. I've learned that kneeling down before God is an act of charity and humility. It's a very well written article and it was a very good read. May God bless you!

2. Jerzy Gawor

This is why the Mass of Ages the Old Latin Rite Mass is so wonderful - you ALWAYS kneel to receive the Most Holy Eucharist and it is ALWAYS on the tongue!

We are so blessed that our Parish Priest brought in the High Latin Mass as the main Mass for Sunday some years ago and added to that says the occasional Low Latin Mass on weekdays. All Holy Days and Solemnities are in Latin as well. May God Bless you abundantly Fr Tim.

Whenever my wife and I attend Mass elsewhere we invariably kneel to receive Holy Communion on the tongue.

Sometimes this doesn't appear to go too well with the Celebrant - I really can't understand how or why this attitude can prevail in a Catholic Priest, when all we are doing is paying the greatest respect and love for our Creator in a simple act of humble adoration.

3. Greg

First, we have no authority to decide what the Church should do. Jesus and the Church are the same, and let' not complicate te matter (Saint Joan of Arc.)

Trust Jesus! He knows what He is doing! At the same time show and beg of reverence for His Body and Blood.

I am receiving Holy Eucharist on the tong, but I do not kneel any more, after receiving ok from my spiritual director. My kneeling became not an act of reverence but an act of pride "holier than thou." How would I love to have the railing and kneeling back in the Church! Sometimes I go for a daily mass to a local Church where many are kneeling, and then I join them with joy.

Do you want reverence? Stop talking before and after the mass. One that does not listen to God will not grow in holiness. If you speak after mass then stop and look around. Are you disturbing others who cannot hear God but you and you plans for breakfast? Are you standing with your back to the Tabernacle? Is your clothes on Sunday the best or you keep the best to meet with the President or someone more important than Jesus Christ? Start changing now. Come Holy Spirit and renew the face of the earth!

4. Trinbagonian

This act of reverence and worship toward Jesus as He is received in the Eucharist and Cup is something that we who are moved to do should do. For Christians, this should be natural as we grow in the Holy Spirit. The Church should be growing as well. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all Churches make kneeling for the Blessed Host readily easy?
    I know that The Eucharist IS Jesus. Unfortunately, several others don't. To whom much is given though, much is expected.
    And so I do what I am moved to do inwardly. This is between God and me. And I pray that I and everyone else receive Him well to the best of our "recollection". I pray for our faith, hope, love, forgiveness and the Church. I pray a lot for my family too. I pray for all the indifference shown to Jesus Eucharist and Church and for members who are highlighting this indifference. I pray for the Holy Spirit.
    When one meets Jesus in the Eucharist, he/she can't be the same again. I pray for that grace of conversion. May the Eucharist be adored always!

5. Steve Cooper

Two Easter's ago I was unbaptized and not a believer then God drove me to my local church, and Father Dale. I was confirmed and baptised at the Easter vigil two years ago, and struggle at times to be a good Christian. I am not sure if it was fear, reverence, understanding, love or a mix of all, but I new for me there was no way I was touching the sacrament with my own hands, and I never will. Thank you for this article it has made me ponder kneeling which makes perfect sense to me.

6. Emily

In the Latin Rite (regardless of continent, country, state ) the norm IS kneeling and receiving on the tongue. It is NOT supposed to be discouraged. Here is a video with Cardinal Arinze clarifying this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap1KL2D5ae4

7. Emily

Anyone who's interest is peeked with this article might find beneficial these links of various traditional Catholic communities and orders.

http://www.institute-christ-king.org/home/ http://fssp.org/

http://www.papastronsay.blogspot.com/ http://www.carmelitemonks.org/

Also, a good blog....http://wdtprs.com/blog/

8. Emily

Receiving the Holy Eucharist while kneeling and on the tongue DOES in fact effect the soul in a profound way. I'm (almost) 35 years old and have been receiving this way since about 14. The act of kneeling puts one's pride in check. Just like genuflecting, it's an act of bending my will towards God. In recent years ( comparitively speaking), the sense of the Sacred has been somewhat lost and it's a delight to hear of it being rediscovered.

In rediscovering it, It helps to get acquainted with the writings of the saints. Unfortunately, it's a rare thing to receive such jewels as this during a homily:

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man."
    --St. John Vianney, Cure d'Ars

Thank God for the wealth of knowledge and inspiration left to our time, by the saints who went before us. I pray people are inspired by your article, and try this approach to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. He IS King and if we neglect this aspect of his Divine Person, our love for Him cannot be complete.

9. michael

Excellent article....of course our good bishops have established a norm calling for a bow and standing for Holy Communion in the New Mass. As a result, there is a lot of resistance to kneeling. The Holy See, however, allows the communicant to receive. Of course, things would be a lot easier if people just attended the Old Mass, the Mass which all of our ancestors attended. Here in the ancient Mass, kneeling is the only posture allowed unless some health reason makes it impossible.