The Vision of St. John Bosco and the Papacy of Benedict XVI Comments

Does the heroic leadership of Pope Benedict XVI represent one more fulfillment of the prophetic vision of the Saint whose Feast we celebrate? Pope Benedict XVI is steering the Ship through troubled waters, charting a path through those sure pillars of protection and heavenly aid. St. John Bosco, pray for us. Continue Reading

1. Lydia Padilla Rinne

Thank you so much for this article . I am blessed of learning more from you.GODs blessings for sharing. I will continue praying for our Dear POPE BENEDICT XVI ...for his peaceful prayerful life from now and May GODs blessings of better health keep him going with Mother MARYs mantle of protection showering him wherever his LIFEs journey brings him in GODs willing grace & JESUS Mercy.with Love & Prayers & Respect from Helsinki,Finland,CFC-FFL(Couples for CHRIST-Foundation for Family & Life)
    I pray in the name of the Father & of the Son, & of the Holy Soirit.Amen

2. Theresa H

Thank you, Deacon Keith, for this article....Yes, both Blessed JP II and his successor, Pope Benedict XVI, have called for the "New Evangelization"--of Catholics--that is to say, ALL of us Catholics! Ever since Roe v. Wade, when many of us objected to Humanae Vitae, there has been what both Bl. JP II and Pope Benedict have called a "darkening of the mind." This occurs when people reject the Teaching of Sacred Scripture and/or the Pope and the Bishops in union with him. (Read Pope JP II's writings, e.g., The "Apostolic Exhortation: Catechesis In Our Time," Pope Benedict's "Year of Faith" address to us Catholics, and the USCCB document: "Living the Gospel of Life: A Challenge to American Catholics.") These are just three among many, many documents of our Popes and Bishops over more recent years that are addressed to us to guide us through the murky waters of a culture today "that lives as if God does not exist!" But how many of us Catholics have ever even heard of these documents? These "letters" of our Popes and our Bishops are vital to our understanding of our Catholic Faith in our times--Along with the Bible (of course) and "The Catechism of the Catholic Church," they are in the direct line of Jesus' "promise" to be with His Church--guiding us "until the end of time;" they are Jesus' provision for us in these days that St. John Bosco foresaw.... "He who hears you, hears me; and he who despises you despises me." But what if I don't even know what our Pope and Bishops write to us?.... Am I "off the hook?" Is "ignorance bliss" when there is a Vatican Web page available on the www and a USCCB web page, as well? Is the "fact" that I "don't have time" for all this a good excuse? I can't answer that question for anyone but myself.

3. cizkid

the catholic church does not lie so it words are truth this vision;will help catholic to know more about their faith.

4. chris

The vision more likely has to do with the apostacy of the church (Timothy4:1) that will occur in the last days. A small short victory that will be won by the enimies of God before the return of Christ.

5. abey

Unfortunately it seems only his name & his feast goes on today neither His works nor his understanding & the price is heavy , to see how much of his own ships are destroyed.

6. Tom McGuire

Deacon Keith, thank you for your response to my comment. I do not have the calling to write the article you suggest that I write. Indeed, Don John Bosco is a saint and his whole life was about serving the poor of his time. I saw concrete results of his efforts in the Catholic School in Hong Kong that resulted from his community of educators.

As for ideology, what is wrong with admitting the influence of ideology on our thinking? Certainly, I admit and you know from my comment that my ideology favors a democratic agenda as yours favors a republican agenda. I see nothing wrong with this. It is disingenuous ( a word lawyers love) to deny the influence. Dialogue, to be effective, must be based on true revelation of self to other.

7. Joe

Deacon Fournier, thank you for this message of hope. Our Church which is starting to come together is a true blessing. Yes, with the Holy Spirits and Mary's help many graces will continue to come. Our Church wants to share their love with all christians. Our nation needs their help right now. let's prayer for their graces to touch our leaders hearts.

8. Bud

Benedict's profound writings and directions to the current condition of our Catholic Church is so simple yet so easy to follow; a truly unusual trait for an intellectual of his caliber. I to was very doubtful about his election and thought to myself, "here comes another German Theologian to succeed a simpler lovable man as a pope". I was totally wrong and I admit it. His humility in his intellectual brialliance can only push the church into a restoration.

9. rafaelmarie

I think the vision is of Pope John II:

It was announced by Cardinal Sodano on 13 May 2000, 83 years after the first apparition of the Lady to the children in the Cova da Iria, that the Third Secret would finally be released. In his announcement, Cardinal Sodano implied that the secret was about the persecution of Christians in the 20th century that culminated in the failed assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II on 13 May 1981.[10]

The text of the Third Secret, according to the Vatican, was published on 26 June 2000:

10. Clinton

Dear Deacon Fournier,

Thank you for this wonderful article! I have been greatly blessed by your many wonderful reflections since I began visiting Catholic.org in 2005, just after the death of Pope John Paul II.

Just one point to make: you mention that many refer to ours as a "post-Christian" era, while you prefer to use the term "pre-Christian". I agree that it is pre-Christian in its character and the manifestations of its moral derangement, but I would suggest the term "anti-Christian" would be more appropriate since initial evangelization took place centuries ago but has now been all but officially repudiated by the current government and its power elites. Also, the term "anti-Christian" denotes the spirit of Antichrist, which is manifestly behind the current state of our civilization. Finally, the term "anti-Christian" fits well with the term "anti-Human", which really entails even those human beings presently outside the Catholic Church. If Christ is fully man -- Man in all his fullness, Man fully realized -- then the present day ferocious attacks are both "anit-Christian" and therefore "anti-Human".