United States lifts ban on frontline combat roles for women Comments

The announcement was expected as just part of the Obama administration's sweeping changes to the military. United States Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says that he has decided to lift the military's ban on women serving in combat. A senior U.S. defense official says that thousands of frontline war fighting jobs may shortly become available to female service members. Continue Reading

1. Rob

Seems to me that if less than 1% of the population is willing to step up and fight resulting in some of these guys having upwards of 16 tours, then maybe they had no choice but to open the doors.

Too many young men are too busy playing video games than willing to step up and serve. To me that is sad.

2. American firefighter

so if everything is equal, could a pregnant woman even be ordered out of a combat zone?
    don't think they can be ordered off the job in the fire service-just sayin

3. abey

That 'ole Scythian way.

4. Stefanie

Congratulations, America. Your daughters can now be drafted.
    Sad.

5. Joseph

And so yet again the 'compassionate' liberal left gets its way and the result is? - All women will now be liable for the draft. It's official, the Pentagon admits it, on the QT. So a radical, fundamental change in social structure is achieved on behalf of a handful of individual women at the expense of the entire female gender - and none of this is discussed, debated, aired in public. And they call this democracy? I think not. And neither will the great mass of women when they finally wake up to what has just been implemented in their name. Only by then of course it will be too late: they will be being force marched to the front line in what has now become the war of everyone against everyone. Welcome to Hobbes' world, ladies, in which life, including your life, suddenly becomes 'nasty, brutish and short'.

6. DLL

Men and women are different. Women and men cannot fight on the front lines together. They are of different mindsets and if a man rubs a woman the wrong way and vice versa,than because of the weaknesses of there personalities they can become vindictive,which is a detriment to their safety on the front lines. Men try to protect women instinctively and that could become a priority in front line battles,a reason to disobey orders,as it prevents proper deployment of soldiers,so that the enemy could gain an advantage and the whole troop is placed in danger. Obvious physical differences are a problem. What is the next right that politicians will support? Children fighting on the front lines? Our country must not become so politically correct that it becomes insane and the cause of its very own self destruction.

7. vance

Not a good idea.

8. mgm.

Like men don't join up to get away from poverty or bad homes , what level of wealth should somebody in their teens or twenties have to join up like they've got any money .I've worked in factories where women upset things or rather the guys that just had to go to lunch ,work the shift or the same production line because they were in love or in pursuit of her or them.

9. General

Forgive my nickname "general." I was an Air Force Reservist in the 70's. My unit was PRIME BEEF unit- base emergency engineering force. It was a combat ready unit. I was an assistant engineer and my specialty was bombed out runways and making them operational again. I had the option to go into active combat zones. I said I would because that was my training but I had no children, and if you were pregnant you were required to bow out for the sake of the child.

I earned my place but I carried twice the weight the men carried. I did every dirty construction job there was and never complained. I ran twice as far as the men and faster then they did. I learned everything perfectly and never allowed them to treat me as anything but another airman. Some guys hated me because I was a woman in a man's field and some liked my spirit. In the end my unit was honored to have me along and I had the greater honor of working with them, and by God's great grace we were never diploid but those men understood I was there because it was what I did and they depended on me when we were working in the field and they trusted me. I trusted them more than myself and I would have put my life on the line for them, at least I believed with all my heart I would because we were a family and more a unit.
    Women if they earn it should be allowed to go into combat zones however I have seen women ruin units. Women should always have the option because of children, and their own inabilities. Not all woman can handle it. I only believe I could but it was never tested. No one knows how they will handle combat until they are there. Many women join the armed forces to escape poverty or a bad home life, do you really want them in the trenches with the men and women who are their to be soldiers? I think this is a mistake.

10. DarthJ

"Equality" in all its glory. Sad.