Blood proven to be that of executed French king Comments

Louis XVI of revolutionary France was known for his extravagance - a whole line of splendiferous décor and furniture bears his name. His rotten-to-the-core regime came to a bloody end with his head being separated from his neck by that trust new-fangled invention, the Guillotine. Now, scientists have authenticated that a rag believed to have been dipped in his blood is the genuine article. Continue Reading

1. judy claar

Interesting read. Interesting Posts! Blessings...

2. Mike

What snide comments, I guess the author of this article thinks the masonic based French Revolution where hundreds of thousands of Catholics were slaughtered, was a better alternative to a Catholic monarchy. Truly sad....

3. Kevin Ritchie

Why would you start an article out about Louis XVI with this vitriol? He was not a strong monarch but he was kind man and not anti-Catholic. The downward spiral of France started long before him; he was so young when murdered!

Everyone should read his last will and testament and then decide:

4. Mrs. Tansey

The authors of this article are parading their ignorance. The Masonic-Jewish French Revolution was evil as are its fruits which we suffer from to this day. The Vendee uprising will explain to many what exactly the revolution was about. Thanks be to God for those comments which truly state/understand the Catholic position.

5. Brian

One last thing before I bow out of this thread (...I do not mean to approve the persecution of Catholics in the French Revolution. I mean only to raise tough questions about absolute monarchy and its promoters. After all, surely the Church is not meant to be synonymous with absolute monarchy.

6. Marsh Connolly

While I acknowledge that the kings of France were great defenders of the faith, as one with a degree in history, I also know they were generally poor administrators where the Third Estate was concerned, particularly under Louis XVI.

Louis XVI was inept, and out of touch with the people. He was also a victim of circumstance. A crop failure and subsequent famine in 1788-89 sparked his downfall. What came afterwards was a terrible depredation of the Church as fanatics in the National Assembly and Convention confiscated Church lands to pay the national debt.

I find it difficult to defend Louis XVI, nor do I agree with the actions of the National Convention.

However, to get ones dander up and to blindly support a monarch who wasn't feeding his people while they starved is a bit baffling. While the National Assembly and National Convention deserve condemnation for defiling the Church, so too does Louis XVI who clearly wasn't up to the job.

For the record, I did not write the article, but I did not think it was particularly offensive either.

We have modern, American equivalents to the revolutionary radicals in our government today. These are the people we must stop while heeding the lessons of the danger they present from the past.

7. Mrs. Julie Jacob

You have just provided the "last straw"....I can no longer continue to use "Catholic" Online as an e-mail address. It is truly NOT Catholic!!! I agree totally with Mr. Louis Barta! This is deplorable slander coming from within our own ranks. No wonder Catholics today do not understand the complete and utter tragedy of the French Revolution for The Church and the world.

In your own rules for comments, you state that you will not publish any comment which denigrates the human person....well, you have done a fine job yourself of denigrating The Church and the King in your article! A retraction and apology is due on your part.

8. Brian

I just noticed that these comments have to be approved before being posted. Seriously, who approved that anti-Semitic slur?

9. Brian

I should not have been surprised to see screeds from people in the tank for absolute monarchy. May we please ask tough questions about absolute monarchy? May we please look at the ways in which the ancient regime provoked the people to revolt and take down the French Church along with it? After all, if nothing went wrong with the ancient regime and the French Church was not in the tank for it, there would be no cause. Surely the people who were manipulated by the leaders weren't subhuman barbarians. Didn't Pope Leo XIII himself distance the Church from absolute monarchy? I also noticed the phrase "Judaic-Freemason monsters." Red flag!

10. vance