Guest Opinion: Gun Control - What Would Jesus Do? Comments

The Church has always held that it is legitimate to defend one's life and/or property against an unjust aggressor, and it is equally legitimate to defend someone else's life and/or property on the same grounds, even if that defense were to result in the loss of the aggressor's life.Contrary to the assertions of the anti-gun folks, "gun-free zone" legislation is actually counterproductive, and potentially lethal to those it is designed to protect. Continue Reading

1. David&Joan

Christ would say that those who live by the gun will die from a gun.

2. KarlVDH

Jesus was also pretty specific in his reaction when Peter actually drew a sword defensively. Live by the sword, die by it.

3. Thomas Crihfield

I think Christ was fine with self defense.
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

4. judy claar

KarlVDH, I am surprised that I have the time to say: Ridiculous! to your statement. By the way, you never did answer SaraPalen, when she asked you if you were Catholic. Blessings...

5. KarlVDH

Can someone tell me what kkind of gun Jesus would own, and who he'd kill first? I'll go buy one and get it blessed.

6. Gerald

Well, we know Jesus would not ask a man made government to create a man made law to correct this problem. Jesus would encourage us to love our neighbors, forgive our enemies, and spread the Good News of God's Kingdom. Followers of Christ have a commandment to not kill.

These killers have been home grown. Maybe it is time to convert our neighbors and reestablish a moral compass in our community.

I find this article to be insulting with very unChristian undertones.

7. Jeff Currie

How can anyone claiming to follow Jesus not see a contradiction in advocating the proliferation of lethal weapons and claiming to follow the teachings of Jesus himself. I don't see Jesus as a wimp, but his teachings - about the peacemakers, turning the other cheek, doing onto others what you would have them do onto you - seem diametrically opposed to seeking more guns in the hands of more people. It's hard enough for us to learn peaceful ways now when, fortunately, we are in situations well away from firearms. Will having more arms make it easier for us to learn to follow Jesus or to teach others about doing so? And am I an "anti-gun fanatic" for thinking that the answer to that question is no?

8. Jeffrey Caperton

Rob West,

The quote I wrote is from the New Jerusalem Bible (The translation I generally prefer), but there are a number of other translations available (NAB, NJB, NIV, RSV, NRSV, KJV, NKJV...). Pick your quote.

Regardless the actual quote, humans will always find a means to rationalize carrying weapons because we are generally afraid of our own shadows, so it really does not matter what Jesus said, we love our weapons. And I say that as one who fired numerous firearms as a young lad, but,as a man, refuse to own a firearm now. And I live in Los Angeles! But I refuse to be afraid of my own shadow.

9. mgm.

SaraPelan.The Victorious Allies disarmed the German people after Germany's surrender in WW2 !Some WW2 photo journalist publish his artsy photos of the war the usual dead German infantry laying on the side of roads holding photos of love ones burnt out tanks in front of cathedrals that kind of stuff ! but one of his photos taken at the end shows the results of the Victorious Allies ordering Germany's civilian population to turn in their private arms .The photo was taken from a church bell tower or the tower of the town Hall of just one German town and low and behold there was a huge stack of guns of every type made in the last 400 years and modern automatic pistols and rifles you realize why the Journalist pick a high tower to show how big the pile was!!! So why would Germans keep weapons they where suppose to turn in under Hitler and risk being arrested by the merciless Gestapo but feel compelled to turn the weapons that Hitler was suppose to have taken away to the mild mannered Americans? Also I can't count how many accounts I've read of Allied airmen being shot down over Germany when they get to the ground saying they were confronted by furious German town people or framers armed with pistols and rifles !hay! didn't Hitler take the guns all away?

10. William Ignatius

Awesome article! Just full of solid evidence and common sense. It's too bad that the U.S. Bishop's conference hadn't read something this before issuing their statement in support of gun control. I love my bishop and I love the work that the Conference does....but when they support issues like gun control or the affordable care act, it's just discouraging.