College atheist group plans massive anti-Mother Teresa demonstration Comments

A Dartmouth College atheist group is planning an event aimed at denouncing and vilifying the work of the late Mother Teresa. The Atheists Humanists Agnostics club sent out an e-mail announcing the program next week. The group promises a "full-out romp against why one of the most beloved people of the century, Mother Teresa, is as Hitchens put it . 'a lying, thieving Albanian dwarf.'" Continue Reading

1. Charles Buzbee

Why is this even given any publicity? The guy is trying to sell a book and is getting free
    publicity. Take this story down. NOW!

2. Greg

Christopher Hitchens - I challenge you. I offer you to come with me for a short missionary trip to Jamaica, Kingston. January 30th - February 4th. Jet Blue flight 867/868. You will pay round trip ticket about $420. No vacation. Five days in Kingston with the poor. Only serve with 200 brothers (for you are a man, Christopher,) of Missionaries of the Poor. You, and one extra person, for our group of people, including women 70+ year old is big enough. Come, and see for yourself. The write the Truth. - Greg. (PS, it is not a vacation. It is a serious work where you will get dirty, and if God allows, you may get danger fever. Smell, heat, cold water, the poor, and you.)

3. steve shellenback

Sound like spoiled brats who need to be stripped of all their comforts and trade places with someone living in the gutter of a third world country and see if it humbles their attitude towards mother teresa, the only one who would try to help.

4. judy claar

What's next? Blessings to the Church Militant

5. Vin

I bet these "atheists" voted for Obama. He is so much worse than Mother Theresa in that he perpetuates poverty while she tried to help the poverty stricken, some of which were beyond help when she found them except for comfort care, which, by the way, Obama denied to aborted live births. It is sad that Hitchens left such a devastating legacy, but he made his decisions as we all do. We can only hope he repented in the moment of death. I only hope this Dartmouth group is not representative of college education these days, but I think it is. It's what we get for turning our backs on decency and morality and, first and foremost of course, GOD!!

6. Paul

There are Missionaries of Charity convents all over the world, and I'm privileged to have visited 3 of them, one (in Montreal) regularly. I have befriended sisters, and helped them in their massive preparations to feed the poor. I have seen a 4'11" nun from Dominican Republic cut apart a pig that was donated to feed the 150 poorest men in Montreal 6 days a week. These women slave over the poor. Each sister owns the following items that belong to her:

1 rosary
    1 pair of sandals
    1 sweater (if they're sent to a colder climate)
    3 saris - one to wear, one to wash and one to mend

No more. They are only allowed to go visit their families once every 10 years. They do not use washing machines, computers, or even hot water for showers in the convent. They pray, and serve, and pray and serve.

The above is not the most amazing part of these women. The most amazing part is how happy and joyful they are. I have never experienced the joy that I see in the faces of these beautiful women. They are truly blessed.

I encourage every one of you to find the nearest convent to you and to volunteer to help with a dinner just one time.

7. jg2

I read about this somewhere else. The "religion" of this group is to find someone, anyone respected by others to try and tear down. People commented on the other site that unless you were actually with Mother in Calcutta you do not know anything. I agree.

8. maizie

Privilege and an overabundance of resources in a world crying with inequality makes for self loathing as these ten or so people have proven.

9. RichStine

Nothing like vilifying a little old lady who spent her entire life trying to make a difference in people's lives.
    I happen to have friends who are very Atheist, who find this abhorrent.
    While they haven't yet embraced the idea of a god, let alone God, and some are even skeptical about Christ's existence on earth, even as a man (Atheists are as broad and diverse a group as any), my friends who've read this article and heard about Dartmouth's little atheist group, concluded that they have entirely too much time on their hands.

One went so far as to suggest that if they are so superior in their championing of the poor and destitute, would not their time, money, efforts and energies be better spent, doing something besides rallying against a woman now dead?

They are making fools of themselves.

10. DLL

What is the point? I do not care what peculiar attitudes atheists have against Mother Teresa. Sorry but the more they write about what they think,the more I see them as wacky,as well as intolerant and disrespectful,of all others that do not share their viewpoints. They try to reduce everything to the lowest common denominator. Leave Catholics (specifically) alone! Catholics are right they are wrong. Post and let them all read that! If you dare.