College atheist group plans massive anti-Mother Teresa demonstration Comments

A Dartmouth College atheist group is planning an event aimed at denouncing and vilifying the work of the late Mother Teresa. The Atheists Humanists Agnostics club sent out an e-mail announcing the program next week. The group promises a "full-out romp against why one of the most beloved people of the century, Mother Teresa, is as Hitchens put it . 'a lying, thieving Albanian dwarf.'" Continue Reading

1. JOACHIM ADEYEMI

There arrogant superficiality only reminds of the popular saying of this saint: "If you are trying to be be kind, people will call you ....Just be kind anyway etc " Mother Theresa was a living witness to Christian humanism, having her sisters in my parish here in Nigeria, makes always think each time I visit their convent, that this world needs more of messengers of peace & love like her. The memory of the righteous shall be blessed forever, says the scriptures. May God save/enlighten the "agnostics " but let them rather tell the world how much they have bettered Mother Theresa's records.

2. Greg

Dear MoonChild02 - thank you for letting me know that Christopher Hitchens knows the Truth (Jesus Christ.) So then I give that challenge to the president the Dartmouth College atheist group. Come, see, and then you cal always tell that you witnessed. As for the Catholics - they are the same sinners as everyone else. The day I joined the Church, I made it look worse. I became Catholic to have my sins forgiven now, and to help me change, which the Church through God's grace, and authority, helps me with. I can change because I can now see how big a sinner I am and how desperately I need the Savior. God bless you all.

3. JeanCatherine

Keep in mind folks this is good. This is dialogue. This is what we should do as church militant. Peacefully state our case for the truth. God wins em' in the end if they choose to go to Him. Dont dispair. Mother Teresa would have wanted to see this to and understand it and reach out to these people. She would have taken it on the chin for this to. This is a teaching moment for many of us to understand what this is. The Lord is also teaching us about this moment as well.

4. John

Mother Tereza its your day please intercede for me, so that I may receive Gods healing through your prayers, of my ailing leg. Mother pray for me.

5. Joe

Obviously, we are human,therefore we are subjects of imperfection. May God bless and forgive the ignorant.

6. MoonChild02

Seriously? This is just sad. She did a lot to help millions of people! It's not fair that people keep doing this, when they know full well that she was only human, and did the best she could with what she had in order to be able to help others. So she made a few bad choices - we all do. That's what it means to be human.

Greg, just so you know, Mr. Hitchens died last year - he's not going anywhere. All the best on your trip, though!

7. John

Maybe its a good thing that these people say these hurtful words towards the society because then maybe the society will take note of their weak borders and streghten them.

I have worked with the sisters at Prem dam and kalighat's home for the dying and I must admit That i would take a differnt approach in serving someone

I have been staying in the center of the slums of Dhapa for almost 10years now serving the poor and it is not a easy task and it is even harder to live as they live ,but I am grateful and I continue on with the mission and even though the Sisters told me when I needed help that they do not help others I do not bad mouth them, I only pray for them asking God to forgive them.

8. Kasoy

These people are simply trying to stir controversies to get attention. There are only two ways to deal with them. As true Christians: PRAY for their conversion. As members of civil society: IGNORE them, don't write articles about them.

9. Sum Nemo

Oddly enough, while attending college (I will not tell you how many years ago!), I had a logic professor who wrote a critique of Mother Teresa. The problem is that I never really learned his rationale becuase, like so many here in this forum, I went for his throat for daring to critique the future saint. Maybe if I would have listened to what he had to say, I would have been able to refute his rationale. As it is, in typical American Christian fashion, all I managed to do was to further demonstrate how American Christians cannot have an intelligent or civil discussion without going ballistic.

I do not agree with this young man, but rather than the usual American Christian "knee-jerk" reaction, maybe we could shut up and listen to what he says then actually formulate an argument to refute what he has to say.

10. Beth

@Kieran - I have read the accusations against Mother Teresa, and as a Catholic what I can tell you is that we do not believe saints to be perfect. They are human, just like the rest of us, and therefore subject to error. Mother Teresa is revered in the Church because of the manner in which she lived her life - but that does not mean she was impeccable, for no human creature (other than the Virgin Mary, by a singular grace of God) ever has been. Criticisms of the order's finances, medical practices, and Mother Teresa's dealings with political leaders may (or may not) be fair. What I have never seen is much (if any) concerted effort on the part of those who have criticized her to help the needy themselves. Mother Teresa began her order with the intention of helping the poorest of the poor. One can argue that she should have done a better job - but without walking that walk oneself, I find it a rather hollow assertion. Teresa was a simple woman who grew up in a different place and time than most of us. As human beings, we all are subject to the influences of our cultures and personal histories. Should Mother Teresa have returned Charles Keating's money? Maybe. To her, it may have seemed a better outcome to have that ill-gotten money put in service of the poor instead. Overly simplistic moral reasoning? Again, maybe. Proof of evil intentions? I doubt it. Should she have denounced dictatorial regimes, rather than fostering the relationships that would allow her order to serve in those countries? Perhaps. But what a bitter choice to make, and similar to the choices that many, many international charities struggle with in their efforts to help those who need it most. I'm sure Mother Teresa strove mightily in her vocation to do the right thing. Being human and not divine, I'm sure she sometimes failed. But a saint is not one who has never fallen - a saint is one who kept on getting back up. There is an expression concerning the Church - that she is at once holy and in need of redemption. I think this is true of saints, too. Certainly Mother Teresa would have been the first to admit that she was in need of a Redeemer as much as the rest of us. The hero-worship of Mother Teresa is largely media-driven IMO. For people to demonize this woman is an error in the other direction, with the added fault of vindictiveness. We in the Church who actually understand our faith realize that even saints are sinners, too. Atheists would do well to understand that aspect of Christianity, as it would save them a lot of the wasted energy of finger-pointing and free them up for some useful service to humanity.