Archbishop Josť H. Gomez Sounds the Bugle On Immigration Reform with Clarity, Compassion and Common Sense Comments

The Archbishop of Los Angeles calls us to approach immigration reform with a Catholic mind and a Catholic heart - and to take our place in building a new and true Culture of Life and Civilization of love. He is correct in his assessment and we need to listen to his bugle call and line up.  Continue Reading

1. blacksheep09

I hope the Catholic Church provides Gods wisdom on this issue, to paraphrase our Lord Christ Jesus "He who believes in me and obeys my commandments will be saved". We as believer's need to look at Gods three protected classes of people; the widow with no family, the orphan with no family, the alien for we are all alien's in a strange land trying to get back to our Father. The alien is not to be mistreated and is to obey the LAWS of the land he lives. Christ came as fulfillment of scripture not to abolish it; that means stealin', robbin', lyin' are still SINS according to GOD! Abram didn't just march into the Land of Canaan and demand free stuff, no he even paid for the tomb to bury his wife! Edom refused Moses did he take his people and just barge in? No Moses went around, of course to the detriment of Edom; Moses also offered to pay for what his people used, not steal, compel, coercie or strongarm others property. America has Too many people that have bonded themselves to political parties, "slaves vote my way and I'll give you wealth". Liberty does not give the individual the right to someone else's wallet! Slaves need to learn Gods word, as this one time lampstand fades away, what has been done for the greater good. If this nation is to turn from it's wicked ways we need to change our government from .God to .Gov..

2. Miss Marie

I live near a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants. The premise of wanting to assist good people with the desire to get out of badly run, crime ridden countries and offer them a better life and hope for their future is noble and good, but the key term is "assist"....not financially support for life. Sadly, people falling into the category of doing the right thing for themselves and their families is outnumbered by a lawless and immoral population falling on this side of our border. The reality is the financial burden on the local community from the "majority" that arrive with an entitlement attitude and/or have no problem committing various and sundry crimes to get what they want. If the Church really wants to advocate for change, for a better life for these citizens, and be a part of a long-term solution, its members should be focusing their energy on changing the system in the countries these citizens are fleeing from. The reality is that the US has quickly become fiscally and morally bankrupt and our last election proved a majority of American voters prefer government handouts to Gods teachings.

3. Robert Burford

I am the grandson of an immigrant. My grandfather and grandmother came to this country to make a better life for their children. The thing that helped my grandmother most was her neighbors when my grandfather died at 40. My mothers eleventh commandment was to take care of your neighbors Deut 10:19 and Exodus 22: 20 urges us to be kind to a stranger in a strange land. When my grandfather died it was Lutheran neighbors who helped my grandmother out until she could sell the farm and move to a place that she could support herself and her younger children. The older children worked and supported themselves and helped their mother. The answer was family, community and love of neighbors. We need to love our neighbors more and loose the attitude that we need to send them home. God put them in this country and we need to love, grow and treat them with respect. Just like any other neighbor.

4. judy claar

I have read All comments. They All indeed are valid. Why? Because we live in free thinking country (so far), and all belong to Christ's beautiful free thinking Church. I think that what each one said is true to one's own participation or environment. You all are truly loving, want the best for our nation and immigrants/illegals. I too,think back to the Reagan years and illegals, and how that did not work. I am a third generation Californian...this will be my last year in Ca.

We must be American Catholics. Protect our borders. Take a fair approach to illegals..and their children: "Do unto others as you would have done to you". Sunday Blessings...

5. youkokun

Yesterday I went to the new museum in downtown Hillsboro, OR. There's an entire section on the Braceros--"the arms"--how during the second World War the people who had been working in agriculture suddenly went off to enlist, and though America tried to be self-sufficient in its food production ("field trips" with school children picking vegetables, troops of American women in drill formations) even combined the American efforts flopped, either because they couldn't afford degrading themselves or because they were more interested in the industrial jobs, which to be fair did pay better. So the U.S. government went to the heart of Mexico and drew up an international plan with Mexico's consent. Thousands of peasant Mexicanos went to Mexico City where they signed a contract directly between themselves and the U.S. government stating they'd work the entire period and then return; they were transported by train to places like Alabama, Texas, California, and Oregon over a period of two weeks, sprayed with a chemical (DDT?) multiple times, each subsequent year when they returned from Mexico. From 75 to 90% of all crops harvested during the war were the result of Mexican Nationals' work. Then even after the war local farmers were reluctant to release Mexicans from their contracts, illegally charging them for room and board ($1.50 a day, when they earned 30cents an hour).
    After all this I learned that even now there are migrant camps. My mother and her sisters worked there in the '80s, but right NOW there are migrant camps, and immigrants are still usually the only ones willing to do it. Farms are family owned and migrant picked.
    My point is not to glorify Mexicans (God knows I'm ashamed of my former classmates) but to point out that we started it by inviting them and continuing to do so until '64.

6. Charlie Garcia

As soon as the millions of undocumented immigrants get legalized, there will be millions of new ones that will come with the hope that they will get papers some day as well. It happened once... Who will be responsible for those masses of new immigrants? What effect will have on our economy ans social fabric? Will the US become a giant California going bankrupt at any time now?

As a Catholic, I agree that we should be charitable with refugees that are pushed out of their countries due to war or extreme poverty. I visited Mexico and can assure you that not everybody comes here because they are poor, rather because that will allow them to have a bigger car and a bigger house when they go back. Please, go visit the small villages in the mountains surrounding the city of Mexico and you will see these houses that have been built with the clear intent of showing off. Oh yes, not everything with the immigration issue is like it is presented by the media.

Let's close the border first and then we can take care of those who are here without papers.

7. John mainhart

If you picture immigrants as well motivated people not subject to secularism it is easy to agree with the good Arch bishop. Americans created this problem because we refused to deal honestly with the problem during Regan's amnesty program. Since the businesses in this comntry wanted cheap labor we left immigrants come in without benefit of law. On the other hand those souls who came in used the system to get much more than what the poor might expect.
    If I am poor I should expect other souls to help me with food, clothing, shelter and medicine. However I am not entitled to all the other benefits that the country, I emigrate to, give their citizens If I want those then I should follow the legal system of the country, including entry, I emigrated to. Public education is not ,a right as I see ,it and believe me when I say that when the United States Government wants Catholic schoole to teach same sex marriage and abortion as normal we, as Catholics will see whay it means to educate our own children at home.

8. FAITH

This is not an issue that is easy to discuss. I do not believe it is "for amnesty" or "against amnesty". It is truly about reform. That means first and foremost a real dialogue with a very corrupt Mexico and the securing of our borders against cruel Coyotes, drug dealing cartels etc. Some of the bad elements are only slipping in and out. For the people that are too oppressed to stay in Mexico or from any other country in which someone is physically, psychologically, and morally oppressed we must think of our "huddled masses". A reform of green cards and visas would be a start.....issued to those immigrants who would wish to begin citizenship. This would mean paying taxes. Unfortunately, many illegals have already gotten the message if they become legal....they will, indeed, pay taxes and yes, many "free giveaways" will cease, but our country cannot continue to pay the bills of so many with the few tax payers we currently have. Many are mad at or see the abuse of the entitlement programs by illegals, but the real problem is the U.S. government that has furthered its abuse and funding in order to use it as a Ticket to holding on to the White House. We need to find a way to secure our borders peacefully and welcome oppressed neighbors. If we severely cut entitlement programs like ISS, food stamps, etc. We would see more people seeking citizenship instead of "hand-outs". It is the government that is furthering the abuse and enslaving a people with programs that only want a better life for their families. For those that want to send money home and wish to ultimately go back to their perspective countries green cards that are heavily monitored would take care of that. We need to force our government to truly get serious about this problem....not everyone will come out on top, but we need to keep those that truly want citizenship and monitor, investigate (yes, we will have to do this), and send home those that do not wish to stay, bring drugs, oppress those they are smuggling in etc. WE NEED TO FORCE OUR GOVERNMENT TO DO THIS by voting and showing our displeasure with their policies. Complain, Complain, Complain!!! 2014 cannot come fast enough....find out who supports true reform and who just wants the "Status Quo" We must be Just and Generous which means REAL policies....We can do this....it does not need to be one party over the other...grass roots Americanism can and should begin the process. It means real work.

9. techwreck

Bishop Gomez says, "the American bishops support comprehensive immigration policy reform that protects the integrity of our national borders and provides undocumented immigrants the opportunity to earn permanent residency and eventual citizenship." He and the other bishops do not address either the unfair wait of those who have waited in line patiently for legal immigration. Nor does he speak to the unfair financial burden on the residents of the U.S. cities who have to pay for the health care and services to the freeloaders who cross our borders. Simplistic recommendations do more harm than good, raising false hopes. Why do our bishops not harness the vast intelligence of the Catholic laity and have them prepare comprehensive proposals for immigration reform that will give them a seat at the table? Then the Church could be a real participant! As it is, our bishops are playing at politics without the knowledge or resources to solve the problem. They lack the education and experience to lead the real comprehensive immigration reform which the nation needs and I support.

10. DarthJ

Pat Buchanan addresses this subject in length in his book, "Suicide of a Superpower."