Hudson & Fournier: Catholic Countdown to Election 2012 - Day 34: Playing the Mormon Card Comments

This playing of the Mormon card by a caller representing Obama contradicts the promises made by Obama himself and the head of his campaign, David Axelrod - not to mention being insulting to Catholics with the accompanying presumption that such prejudice appeals to them. Continue Reading

1. Theresa H

Nothing this President says would surprise me anymore; he has an "agenda" totally foreign to our Constitution. From what we have seen/heard him say and do, it appears he has dictator leanings. He frightens me. If he gets "4 more years" he will, indeed (as he promised before his first election)--utterly "transform" our country--The USA will be totally unrecognizable for the Founding Principles we have rightfully cherished for nearly 200+ years. This election will, indeed, be decisive for the future of the United States of America. It is up to "we the people;" who will get who we vote for! Let us pray and do penance; and may God enlighten us and deliver us from evil! Also, thank you, Deacon Keith, for appraising us of the availability of your articles....

2. Elainee P

Obama is not a Christian. A true Christian knows that abortion is murder. America is doing the same thing that Israel did in the Old Testament when they sacraficed their children to their god (Moulah). They were judged and punished by GOD for this and America will be judged too. Obama voted for partial birth abortion and for refusing medical treatment to a botched abortion where the baby is born alive. Catholics should not cower down to Obamas bully tactics.

3. DarthJ

We should support Sen Virgil Goode of the Constitutional Party. He's the only candidate who has the gumption to defend the unborn and protect marriage. For once let's not settle for the lesser of two evils, but the best! And, unlike either of the other candidates, he does believe in Jesus Christ (even if he is Protestant).

4. Rush Glick

For those who still believe that there is no difference between Obama and Romney, please wake up and smell the facts! This just may be the most important presidential election in our nation's history. The ramifications are HUGE! Please pray and then choose...wisely.

5. mike robertson

Catholic democrats hardly have some nerve to claim having a monopoly on compassion, peace or justice. Their policies result in crippling economic conditions-based on Hitlerian demonizing of the wealthy and businesses. They have contempt for defending innocent human life (including,after a baby is born in the case of the evil man they are voting for), and their slashing of defense spending would lead to more wars and totalitarianism around the world-hardly the definition of peace. Romney/Ryan happen to have both a pro-life and a pro-prosperity philosophy. Caholics would do good to rise above the kindergarten economic policies espoused by the democrats, which is based on breaking two Commandments-You shall not covet your neighbors' goods and You shall not steal.

6. :)

Harold Olsen,
    It is the duty of a Catholic to vote. We are obliged to vote and to vote for the candidate who does not violate any teachings of the Church. Therefore we cannot vote for Obama since he is against Pro-Life and Traditional Marriage. Mitt Romney is not the greatest leader, but if people like you do not vote for him because of that, we could end up with another four years from Barack Obama.
    While we cannot decide the outcome of the election, but can only pray to God for His Divine Will, we can do our duty as a true Catholic and citizen.
    In Christ,

7. Deacon Keith Fournier

To Tom McGuire: Please read the other articles I am writing or have written. Also, read Dr Hudsons other articles. As for my work, note the piece I wrote which was published today on the Supreme Court and the Natural Law. "Presidential Election and the Supreme Court: 'New-Rights' vs. Authentic Human Rights On the Ballot." http://www.catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=47854 You can also "google" me. I have been writing on substantive issues for quite a while. Thanks for your comment and your insights.

8. Tom McGuire

I had hoped for more substantive insights from this commentary on the 2012 presidential election. This article dips pretty low in terms of substantive issues to be considered. The authors have had nothing to say about foreign policy, global economic conditions, wars, the grinding poverty around the world and yes in the United States, and many other pressing issues. Catholic Social Doctrine addresses all these issues. If we are to make prudential judgments when we vote, all the issues need to be considered. What the authors do, perhaps unintentionally, is raise emotional issues that will move potential voters to vote for Mitt Romney.

9. Missy

@Harold Olson -- It seems extremely strange to me to keep hearing how Romney is an Obama clone, but if you measure "love for country" they're an immeasureable distance apart. I would imagine that Romney knows there's 50 states, not 57. I would tend to guess that Romney will go to church every Sunday when he is in the white house. I believe that he puts his hand over his heart when he is at a ball game. I'm sure he'll salute soldiers as they walk by. I could picture him visiting the hospital in Ft. Hood. His reponse to the most recent 9/11 attack, albeit only words, was far, far better than Obama. I don't believe he'll be bowing to world leaders, and I don't think his wife would utter the words, "I've never been proud of my country." I'm praying that people will vote the way God wants them to vote. I'm hoping that God's choice is NOT Obama. And if it is Romney (barring some mystical experience had by all voters on Nov. 6 telling us to vote for Gary Johnson, or write in Ron Paul), I would hope that We The People can use the next 4 years to go back to our Constitutionalist roots. There's a chance for that if Obama isn't elected. If he is, then there's no chance at all.

10. Harold Olsen

Considering Obama is a Muslim ("I'm guided by my Muslim faith," he told George Stephanopolus on ABC last year) saying people shouldn't vote for Romney because he doesn't believe in Jesus is really hippocritical. Muslims do not believe in Jesus. Mormons do. After all, the complete name of their faith is The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints MORMONS ARE CHRISTIANS!. I certainly will not vote for Obama, but I have yet to decide whether or not I'll vote for Romney -- and his religion has nothing to do with it. I consider him to be an Obama clone. He has yet to give me a reason to vote for him. "Anyone but Obama," isn't enough.