'PISS CHRIST' Coming to New York City: Catholic League's Bill Donohue to Lead Protest Comments

Serrano said that "Piss Christ" was "meant to question the whole notion of what is acceptable and unacceptable." There is not much to question: decent people know it is unacceptable. But in elite cultural circles, anti-Christian art is not only acceptable, it is laudatory. Just don't offend Muslims. Continue Reading

1. Joy

Today's liturgy explains that the more things change the more they stay the same. So it goes with anti-Christian rhetoric. We are called to rise above pettiness and be holy, like our Father and Blessed Mother. Sticks and stones may hurt our bones, but names will never hurt us!

2. Esther M Ventura Ferencz

@Juneau Alaska. as to your point on 'enacting blasphemy laws in the U S. Interesting your take. So I gather anything GOES.....and it has. There is even to athetists a law within the human person that governs behavior. No FAITH including yours of 'no belief' should be attacked via art or other means. Now for you to be so cavalier I suggest your quite fine w.all forms of insult and filth eh? So we have a total dengenerated society and all is well in your world? Harming others is just hunky dokey? Please dont insult this whole preceipt of being respectful as being BAD for a civilized society. NUFF said.

3. KarlVDH

Vance, he's not a Commun ist OR a Marxist either, and you clearly don't know enough about either to discuss this rationally, so, we'll let it go.
    But to return to the actual topic: I have a HUGE problem with the image of our Lord in urine. But you knoow what? TOUGH ON ME. That's right... too doggone bad. Know why? I'll tell you. Go ahead and protest this mess. Yell, scream, holler, threaten boycotts (of things you had no intention of buying anyway, of course,) and make lots of noise. Grab some headlines. Picket the galleries. Rant your heart out. YELL about it, and protest, protest PROTEST to your heart's content.
    WHAT, Vance, do you think you're actually going to ACHIEVE? The gallery will STILL show the thing. People will STILL look at it. And YOU will have provided this disgrace with all the free, unnecessary attention its promoters could POSSIBLY want.
    So, maybe YOU don't have a problem giving a "controversial" piece of filth more attention than it deserves, and attracting the attention of others to it. I see that as playing right into their hands, and making Mapplethorpe's vision for this disgraceful thing come true. Maybe you're comfortable with that. I'm not. So far, in out talks, you're demonstrating a penchant for all image and gesture, little substance and depth.
    Now call me some kind of communist or socialist and tell us how I'm supporting Obama, and prove me right.
    the TRUTH is that the only rational Catholic response to this thing is to condemn it, and then ignore it altogether, to avoid US being the ones to bring it publicity.

4. DLL

Mike: I believe that laws are necessary for those who choose to be willingly disrespectful. Common sense and acting with dignity and respect to others makes it unnecessary to inact blasphemy laws. Laws are only necessary to control those who would be willingly ignorant of the basic human rights of others. If someone is an Athiest or a Christian they will not agree on matters of religion,but they can find common ground for the basis of a very strong friendship,a life long friendship. Blasphemy is disrespect. Any idiot should have enough sense to know that. I do not use the term idiot with disrespect,but to characterize someone who is willfully disrespectful. The artist of this so called contemporary art form is acting as an idiot to see what the limit of respectability is. Short of him getting shot for it all,which fortunately did not happen,than to him he succeeded in pushing the envelope. Personally I think he is a completely vile human being. He enjoys doing all kinds of so called art using human excrement as his mode of expression. He is an Expressionalist,intellectually? He certainly is blasphemous! To answer your question. When there are no laws against blasphemy than one who is significantly upset by this type of person tends to take the law into their own hands,so it is a no win situation. Respect for each other is key,that is my answer! Cheers! DLL

5. Juneau Alaska

After reading all these comments I want a show of hands for the following question. Who here supports enacting blasphemy laws in the US? Anyone? No one? -Cheers! ~Mike, friendly atheist.

6. vance

KarlVDH, You're right, Obama is not a Socialist. He's a Marxist/Communist activist just like his father. Yes, he is in Super wealthy Hollywood's and super wealthy Wall Streeter's back pocket and visa-versa. Multi-Billionaire George Soros is financing the Party of Death and Deceit's campaigns. You don't seem to have a problem with Christ's image in urine. I do in a big way.

7. Murms

The only insult to Islam was not the video itself, but the hostile and aggressive reaction towards it. True, the American public should know about the bias our government has toward Muslims. If it were Mohammed in the urine it would make some noise. However, as offensive as this is. I say turn the other cheek. We do not have to react with lunacy!!!!!
    Murms

8. Lise Godin

It is revolting beyond words. I couldn't believe my eyes. However, I cannot help but ask myself, "Am I as repulsed by my own sins? Do I go on with my everyday life committing the same sins without really changing? Do I do acts of reparation for all offenses against our Lord ?" When we let so many things slide in our own lives do we reflect our loving and gentle Christ in such a way that those who do not know Him will want to respect Him? Do I ever have a long way to go! I want my words and actions to so reflect Christ that He will be loved.

9. KarlVDH

Vance, first off, I'm not arrogant enough to think theAlmighty and Omnipotent God of the Universe and all Creation needs the likes of ME to defend him.It's quite the other way around. However, on to your point...I understand, but disagree, and I'll tell you why. In the 2008 election, Conservatives, Republicans and others screamed about Obama being a "socialist." He's not, clearly, he's quite in Corporate America's back pocket... but they said the WORD "socialist" so much that you know what happened? curious people, mostly the younger generation, got curious about what socialism really is, and the result is that by 2012, the various Socialist parties in this country have seen the largest influx of new members since 1918. Why? Because non-Socialists said the stupid word so many time.
    If YOU feel it's the place of the Church to give Mapplethorpe's disgusting "art" a lot of fee publicity and make sure more people look at it, then by all means, go on and demonstrate. If you want it to become as irrelevant and meaningless as it deserves to be, don't give it any attention at ALL.
    However, if you're a big fan, and want to support it, then absolutely... go yell and sream for the cameras, look angry, shake your little fist and when people get curious and want to see what all the commotion YOU'RE making is about, they'll go online or go to the gallery and see it for themselves. Because YOU drew attention to it.

10. vance

KarlVDH, So, let's see. You say that We The Faithful should shut up and say nothing when Mr. Sicko posts a picture of Christ in urine in a National Museum. AHHHH, (((( NO )))) !!! I don't think so. The Muslims have it partially right. They demonstrate when some fool makes a cartoon about Mohammad. They are wrong when they kill people and destroy property. We the Faithful need to get off our backsides and get to the streets with signs. The same as the Tea Party rallies were conducted.