'PISS CHRIST' Coming to New York City: Catholic League's Bill Donohue to Lead Protest Comments

Serrano said that "Piss Christ" was "meant to question the whole notion of what is acceptable and unacceptable." There is not much to question: decent people know it is unacceptable. But in elite cultural circles, anti-Christian art is not only acceptable, it is laudatory. Just don't offend Muslims. Continue Reading

1. KarlVDH

Vance, since I've told you repeatedly that I'm neither a democrat NOR an Obama supporter, and you CONTINUE to call me both, it's YOU who is engaging in the namecalling. I, however, stated that you are a liar, because having been corrected repeatedly you insist on saying it again and again. It is not true. A person who says untrue things knowingly IS a liar.
    And since the entirety of your argument has relied on personal attacks against me and your own namecalling, may we all presume that you, by your own standard, are actually a "Liberal Democrat?" Isn't that what YOU say it means when someone must resort to such things to make his point? You've certainly demonstrated a complete inability to make your case any other way. Namecalling, labeling, false accusation, and a profound lack of actual knowledge of your subject...
    Are you hiding somehting, Vance? Maybe these tactics you keep falsely accusing me of... you know them a little too well? Are you outing yourself now?

2. KarlVDH

Vance... you have done nothing but make false accusations and call me names... are you now outing yourself as a "typical leftist liberal?" Is that what this is about?

3. KarlVDH

Darko... I can appreciate the sentiment, but two things: 1) that's EXACTLY what it's meant to provoke. And, 2) We're talking about a print of a photograph. Do that, and they'll print a million more, and you've made even more people curious about seeing it.

4. vance

KarlVDH, I'll close this dialogue with a 'THANKS'. You just demonstrated what a typical leftist liberal does, 'call names' when you have no argument.

5. S. Darko

I wish it would come to Waco. I have a sledge hammer and would use it. Seriously, can't someone step out courageously and smash that thing? I'm a non-violent person, but I would rather destroy that inanimate object and go to jail than tolerate that kind of hate crime against Christ and Christians... I would consider it an act of love toward my God.

6. KarlVDH

YES, Vance, you're right. The media's been there. AND THEY'RE DRAWING ATTENTION not to Christ, but to the "art" in question.
    As to your personal remarks, about me, you're simply a liar at this point, and if that's as well as you can do to make your case, you demonstrate your own weakness.
    Carry on.

7. vance

KarlVDH, Nice try, BUT once again, you are as obvious the sun in the sky where you are coming from. In case you hadn't noticed BUUUT the media has been out front with Donahue on this Blasphemy. And no doubt you are as giddy as a child jumping up and down over your comrades displaying this public blasphemy. I live in a heavy Liberal area and I am beginning to see a steady rise of Catholics against Abortion and Gay Marriage. We have a ways to go but I see what was not here in years gone by. Some of the credit goes to your Dear Leader Obama. He created the Tea Party and now he is creating a rise against the HHS mandate which is dear to your heart.

8. Judy Claar

Gabriella and DLL, Two very different posts, but both have the elements of Truthful adult response. I agree with both of you. One must ask themselves how tolerant is tolerant?
    And as Bill said paraphrased, the artist knows full well what he/she is doing, with deliberate intent. Gabriella then responds. And then I would take DLL's post.

Now, these just thoughts placed firmly in our mind, what are we to conclude?

I am in agreement with both responses. However, something in my gut tells me, that besides agreeing with these two friends, I also should speak out against any kind of negative art infringing upon any religion. As anyone with manners would know, its not right. Its just not kosher. Freedom is a good thing. But as DLL says, "When one takes those freedoms to the limit"... Those freedoms have gone beyond the limit of human Decency and Respect. They infringe upon my space as a human being on this earth. Blessings...

9. Rob

vance & Karl, I see where you are both coming from. vance, I'm sorry to say that Karl is right in the sense that in the end all we are doing is drawing more attention to it. But I also see vance's point in voicing a strong objection. Freedom unfortunately is uncomfortable sometimes. And I get the point about no offending muslims, but I understand the difference, by and large Christians aren't going to firebomb anything etc as crazy, radical elements will. But I do trust that God can use even this for his own purposes.

10. KarlVDH

Vance: last time: I am neither a democrat nor an Obama supporter. You have been told this repeatedly, and are now simply LYING. Great Christian witness... well done. Can't make your case without having to dishonestly insult me. Says a lot.
    So- you don't live near NYC, and didn't actually protest anything (despite your strong words that you intended to,) and despite all Donohue's media-grabbing and the protesters in the street,. the gallery IS showing the disgusting thing, and the protests HAVE created curiosity and ATTRACTED viewers, who would, without Donohue putting his face on NY television every chance and excuse he gets, probably never have even given the thing a second thought.
    So what did he- and you- actually ACHIEVE?
    Nothing. Except giving "Piss Christ" a bunch of free publicity. JUST LIKE I SAID TO BEGIN WITH.
    Well done, Vance. You sure showed me.