A Doctor's Commentary: Akin is Right Comments

Not only did Akin attempt to sensitively answer the delicate question about allowing abortion in cases of rape or incest, and not only did he thoroughly answer the question, but above all he probably had the science right.If we can't bring ourselves to condemn all acts of violence against innocents -- I mean all, everywhere, without exception -- then we are saying that some victims just don't count, and that we care more about our own political ... Continue Reading

1. Tara K. E. Brelinsky

Wonderful piece, thank you for writing it. You did a great job of explaining the reason why we can't allow any exceptions for abortion. I've taken a bit of slack for my questions about Romney's "softer" stance, but this is the very reason why I'll keep asking. When contraception was first accepted by every church, but the Catholic Church, they reasoned it would be used by couples who had a serious need and we can all see where that has gotten us.

2. Juneau Alaska

Dr. Pedulla, I was able to locate your mailing address on-line. I have ordered "Why We Get Sick: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine" by Williams & Nesse for you. My receipt states it will arrive at your facility by August 31st. Cheers! -Mike

3. Emma

Thank you. I'd only add, "for what other crime, do we approve the execution of the criminal's child?"

4. Juneau Alaska

The author states: "Anthropologically and teleologically speaking and apart from empirical data, a mechanism selecting against pregnancies from rape would also be of unique value to species, woman, and child as a survival advantage is conferred on pregnancies free of this type of violence." END QUOTE. Of course, the author prefaces his statement with the words anthropologically and teleologically speaking rather than scientifically speaking because his claim would find no scientific support. In fact it's wrong. There is no evidence that selection (evolution by natural selection) operates at the level of the species like he claims. It operates at the level of the gene. When errors like these are found, it makes it very difficult to read the rest of a work. For example, how many would finish reading an article about mathematics when the first paragraph claims 1 + 1 equals pi? If I may, I'd like to invite the doctor to read George C. Williams' book, "Why We Get Sick". If he would like a free copy, I'd be more than happy to mail one to him. I'm serious. -Cheers! ~Mike

5. Bonnie

Well explained and I agree with the Dr. violence should not beget violence. A child no matter how conceived is a child.

6. Diane

I really agree with this article. For a victim of rape to abort the child IS to create a second victim of violence, the child, and it is also to cause a second trauma to the woman. Pro abortionist will never understand and accept this because they are driven to violently kill. They're violence loving monsters. I can't help but believe they are possessed by a cold hatred stemming from pride and greed. They don't love, they hate. How God can help such souls, I don't know. They are in a blood seeking frenzy now because more and more people are turning against them. It takes real courage to face down such cold, aggressive hatred. God help us and all the little children.

7. Jay

Would you recommend if a woman is raped and doesn't want the resulting child that she purposefully undergo stress so her body has a natural abortion? How do you draw the line there?

8. Stacy Trasancos

Indeed brilliant. If we had more apologists like this our enemies would run for the hills. ;-)

I also notice that those so determined to call Akin "ignorant" and "insensitive" are the ones who know little to nothing about monitoring natural signs of fertility, and treat miscarriage as the loss of a lump of tissue instead of someone the parents loved.

Thank you for your explanations. This is very useful, and puts this whole incident into perspective better than anything else I've read. When science is honored as a genuine search for truth, just look at what we are able to understand.

9. Bill Sr.

This is not a lot different than the gasps heard from those present when Christ first mentioned the need for the Eucharist. How quickly faithlessness in those not deep enough in the spirit yet make judgments they later regret when the light of truth is focused on it.