Cardinal Burke Says Theologians' Mandatum Should Be Required by Colleges, Disclosed to Students Comments

"The Catholic university will want that all its teachers of theology or the theological disciplines have a mandate and will not retain the professor in teaching Catholic theology or the theological disciplines who does not have a mandate, because to do so would be to call into question the whole raison d'etre of the university." Continue Reading

1. John Switzer, PhD

To Mr. Bob:

Kind sir, I never denied your rights as a parent nor those of students. As a Roman Catholic theologian, I believe that knowledge and information are truly important. My only point, by which I stand, is that perhaps this issue is a bit more complicated than some would allow. I'm all for information--in its entirety!

To Ms. Diane:

I agree with you about the Holy Father ... I think he's a terrific theologian.

2. Judy Claar

Great! Wonderful! Magnificent! Who would have thought that Catholic Theology was not in communion with Rome? (Of course not all, but some). I am so thankful this is cleared up now! However, we need to pray for those young minds, that were shaped into thinking and believing otherwise. It is my opinion, that it has helped loosen the ties to the Holy Trinity and the Holy See. Perhaps, leaned their minds toward Secularism and the liberal left. My facts are personal observances...out of the mouths of babes themselves. How is an adult Catholic like me, with 12 years of teaching CCD, and minor Church responsibilities, (in their mind), able to dispute any Church doctrine, with young minds, when they say they get their information from a Theology Professor, or priest ? Of course I can go w/backup to and from my priest, but the discussion has already reached an impasse, because their mind they are only open to the "New". So, I sincerely, Thank our Lord for St. Benedict! Prayers...

3. John J Plick

“The 1990s saw vigorous opposition to the mandatum by some theologians and the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities, but the controversy has since cooled down, largely because in practice the mandatum has not had much relevance to students and college leaders.” This is an utterly naïve and disastrous statement. The priorities of the laity and the priorities of the clergy MUST differ qualitatively. That the laity has become blind (like the Laodiceans) to the importance of proper doctrine and practice is bad enough, but that these “theologians” have been allowed to “win” such a victory is even more horrific. It truly constitutes a victory for idolatry, which, although would seem quite irrelevant to some souls in this present temporality, will seem tragic beyond imagination in Eternity.

4. David Carlon

How long Lord will we suffer blind and disobedient educated dolts who lack humility and common sense? Thank you Cardinal Burke!

5. Joan

It would be hard to make the Mandatum required at 'catholic' colleges since the schools made themselves private non-profits? They are not headed by priests or religious anymore (usually). Too many non-catholics work in Catholic schools and want to teach on their bias about Christianity and Catholicism so I dunno. But it would be wonderful if they would be forced to disclose whether the had a Mandatum or not and prove it with documentation.

6. Bob

To John Switzer: If I were to attend a Catholic University and be required to take courses in Theology, I would have the right to know that the professors teaching those classes were endorsed by the teaching office of the Church, the Magisterium. Why in the world would I attend a Catholic University without this "guarantee"? By the same token, if I were sending my child to a Catholic University, often paying large sums of money for that education, I would want some type of guarantee that my child was getting what I am paying for...a Catholic education, not a Protestant one. This mandate should be required for EVERY professor in the theological disciplines at EVERY Catholic University. Those professors out there who feel otherwise are arrogant, prideful, people who believe there is no higher authority than themselves, just because they have a PhD behind their name.

7. Ray

This seems obvious, and is easily accepted in other professional arenas (think certifications, licenses, etc.). It is long overdue, and another sign of rejuvenated leadership from our US bishops. May God bless them and strengthen them.

@Michael - Amen on expanding this to all Catholic schools. I've thought about that idea many times. The primary difference is that the family is expected to be the primary instructor of the faith until kids are grown. Still, too many times our Catholic schools are hurting the spiritual development of our children.

8. mike may

way to go Bruke. still miiss you in LaCrosse WI

9. michael

While I believe that this mandate is absolutely necessary and the policy instituted as soon as possible, I cannot overemphasize the importance of accurate catholic training at the grammar and high school levels.
    I have two daughters who have distanced themselves from the church primarily because they could not understand the paradox of liberal mindedness eminating from the secular faculty present in their first 12 years of instruction. It turned them off and they moved to seek the peace of Christ elsewhere.
    It saddens me and I pray for them often. I am also very concerned about the thousands of students facing similar circumstances.

10. Diane

To John Switzer- there is a Bishop with monumental theological"savvy" as you call it,the Bishop of Rome, Pope BenedictXVI. He also has the authority, in union with the other Bishops to order such a step to be taken. You do not operate as a theologian or teacher in a Catholic University outside that scope.