Catholic, Gay, and Feeling Fine, Thanks: Part 1 Comments

The persecution and bigotry from both sides of the issue proceed, partly, from misunderstanding. Steve Gershom's simultaneous Catholicity and SSA are what is so compelling about his message. Ultimately he beautifully illustrates the tension between the beauty of faith and honest acknowledgment of the frail, wounded humanity in which we all live without pretending it does not exist or giving it sway over him. Continue Reading

1. Judy

Marie: AGAIN, Steve, is Catholic and celibate. He is seeing a priest. He acknowledges his feelings and knows that they are wrong. What more do you want him to do? I did not read his blog. Nor do I have the time to. I just know I am against Equal Marriage, until, (and I don't see it happening, in our life time), Holy Mother Church ever is convinced otherwise...not government. I feel The same way for GL rearing children as you know. But we must have peace and understanding in the meantime. That is Not giving in to what we perceive as wrong. Blessings Always...

2. Judy

Eddie: I think you "got it", as to why people left the church. Disagreements. As I said on another post, I feel it began in the '60's, and not because the Church changed from Latin to English! It was because they thought that their own conscious thinking was more divine than Holy Mother Church. Let's face it...they wanted their own way. Perhaps now, with time lapsed, more oldsters will return to the church? Or, the younger ones, who have not been affected by secularism and confused by science. Kathy: Why are you so judgmental? Does not the Bible say not to go to church w/an unforgiving heart? Does not the Our Father teach us the same thing? I don't understand. How you can not try to understand SSA, when Steve is Catholic and celibate? And, Steve and Anonymous, Are, Both going to see priests. It sounds trite, but we must wait for more information. AS you know, I am against Equal Marriage. Marriage is between man and woman. However, if it does come to the point of acceptance, I think that like your neighbors, they can live tog. or even get married if it Later comes down to that, but NEVER will it be Equal Marriage, and that it is NOT SAYING that I like any of what I have just said. Holy Mother Church will be our guide...Not the government. Because, how is it political except by secularism? We are at war w/Secularism. And, as I have said before, The GL community should not rear children! Too much harm!!! To children and to society. But for now, we should be supportive of those like Steve who are celibate. I know you have a Big heart Kathy. And Kathy, I do think you are being kind to your neighbors. Rob: How could Kathy bring anyone of her neighbors into the Church, doing any more than she is? Living by Example. Usually, these persons have their own agenda, as do we. Would we change our thoughts on Catholicism? Blessings Always...

3. Marie

I find this blog to be an abomination to human kind. People are not animals. People have souls and better understanding than the animals. Therefore; I dont think anyone should take two animals engaging in some unnatural way, as example, to make a point, so he could feel good about his lifestyle-a lifestyle that is a curse and will be the downfall of mankind. I would advice that Steve to repent and turn away from his sinful lifestyle. In so many levels, homosexuality is wrong...it goes against mother nature and against God's teaching. PERIOD. Let's not sugar-coated it and try to make homosexuality part of DNA. Homosexuality is a lifestyle that is like a disease, jumping from one person to the next. It is not normal.

4. Rob

Kathy, please spend some more time reading what the Church teaches about SSA and temptation and sin. Perhaps I'm not perfectly understanding what you are saying, but to take what you've said to it's logical conclusion would mean that once someone has a temptation, they have sinned. That is not what scripture or the Church teaches. With the issue of homosexulity, I think the sin we need to be most careful of committing is hating our neighbor. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself. This sums up the whole law. Maybe some of you think that people who have this issue need to be condemned, shunned or "straightened up." But perhaps what they need is to see the mercy of Christ in us. I just don't see that here.

5. Eddie

Rob, I understand why you chuckled at the term cafeteria Catholic because that is the same reaction I had when I read the phrase you used - "perfect Catholic club" - as if there is a source defining the perfect Catholic. There are many wonderful Catholics who love the faith and do their very best to adhere to Church teachings. By the way, these are many of the same special people who give generously of their time, talent and treasure to reach into the community to participate in prison ministries, food kitchens, helping women get through unwanted pregnancies and comforting women who are victims of abortion as well as visiting the sick. Nonetheless, these same caring men and women can be scandalized by what they see happening in our society especially by government policies, some promulgated by those proclaiming to be Catholic and followers of the social gospel. Sometimes their reactions appear to be self righteous but maybe we should all try to pull back the curtain and we might be surprised at how these very same people put their Catholic faith to work in their personal lives. With regard to the hyperbole you used when refering to our Bishops, they are shepherds of the flock and we look to them for leadership and not confusion. How they they exercise that leadership we hope and pray is through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

6. Tate

@kathy, I still don't see why you think homosexuality is a sin. The CCC clearly states that homosexual acts are sins, not just being homosexual. In trying to protect the church you have actually gone against its doctrine. Stop using the church as an excuse for your personal dislike of a group of people.

7. Anonymous

Kathy, your understanding of this subject which you claim to be passionate about is uninformed, ignorant and dangerous. It is NOT in line with the Catholic church. It is not in line with the Catechism. It is not scriptural. Attraction is not sinful. Action on that attraction is sinful. Or not taking precautions to remove the occasion of sin is sinful. An example: I happen to know about myself that a gym locker room is a place of temptation for me. I WILL be attracted to and think immodest thoughts about the men I see in there. But, I am overweight. So I go to the gym, but I arrive wearing my gym clothes and leave with enough time to shower at home. The attraction doesn't go away, like St Paul's thorn in Corinthians. I have asked God in faith SO many times. I have talked to my priest in confession and out. It is not going anywhere. If you claim that you are so passionate about this issue, show me in the Bible where it says that TEMPTATION is sinful. Bring me a citation from the catechism that supports you very unchristian attitude. Because I have about fifty that call you a pharisee.

8. Kathy

I can guarantee that I will not read part 2 or part 3 or whatever part is put out. I come to Catholic.org to read news and get away from secular news, that is so liberal, it turns my stomach. I am not going to read this persons blog, I would rather read the bible. Yes, I believe it is a sin to have an attraction for the same sex person. I can understand that a person might struggle, but if he/she is Catholic, then go to your priest and get some resolve for it...just like you would do with any other sin or problem you may have.

We have seen several protestant churches appointing gay bishops recently. I would leave the Catholic church if that ever happened. I am passionate about this subject. I am sorry if I offend anyone. When we have articles of this sort, we open the door wide open to let satan come in...he is prowling the earth looking for shortcomings.

9. Juneau Alaska

Catholic Online Editors, I posted the following on the Marriage disussion, but intended to post it here on the Gay discussion. Please consider removing it from the former discussion and posting it here. Thank you.

The marked shift from centuries of condemnation and physical persecution of homosexuals to a non-violent theological disagreement is encouraging. Having said that, African congregations are notorious for their brutal attacks on homosexuals and I would like to see the Church distance themselves from those violent groups.

10. Tate

@Eddie, Homosexuality is not a sin, homosexual acts are (CCC). So you can accept that "Steve" has SSA, and that what he is doing is not a sin. And the reason most people are leaving the Catholic church is because they don't feel accepted. They have people who incorrectly believe that homosexuality is a sin and that they should not be allowed in the church. The motto of the Catholic church should be don't do this, don't do that. It should be come as you are, we accept you no matter what, we would like you to develop a relationship with God, and we hope that through that relationship you realize your sin and feel the need to stop doing it. That is one of the reasons that I don't think the Catholic church should get involved in the politics of gay marriage or DADT. When they publicly speak out against a group of people, it makes them not want to have a relationship with God or come to church. Preach love and acceptance not hate and intolerance.