Catholic, Gay, and Feeling Fine, Thanks: Part 1 Comments

The persecution and bigotry from both sides of the issue proceed, partly, from misunderstanding. Steve Gershom's simultaneous Catholicity and SSA are what is so compelling about his message. Ultimately he beautifully illustrates the tension between the beauty of faith and honest acknowledgment of the frail, wounded humanity in which we all live without pretending it does not exist or giving it sway over him. Continue Reading

1. Rob

I am sometimes amazed with how little love is shown by Christians. I think there has been a growing movement of what I like to call the perfect Catholic club. You aren't Catholic if you do X, say X, support X etc. And somewhere along the way we forget that we are all fallen. Not one of us is perfect and to walk around throwing stones at those we feel are less perfect than us is no different than the men Christ ask to cast the first stone. Some of you speak as if you never have to go to confession or somehow God will look at your sin in a much kinder way than another. Pamela, you mentioned that homosexuality and abortion would destroy mankind. No they won't. Our inability to love our neighbor is what is destroying man kind. As someone once said, how can you love a God you can't see, when you can't love the people in front of you. I for one am glad that Christ loved me despite the fact I was a sinner and that I didn't have to be "perfect" to warrant his sacrifice and love. I'm sorry, but it's no wonder people are leaving the church. We have no love for one another and have become nothing more than the beating gongs St. Paul describes. A bunch of pharisees without love. We are nothing without love. And maybe if some of you truely love the sinners in your life instead of walking around so disgusted, maybe you could lead them to Christ.

2. Anonymous

Joselyn, and others, I refer you, humbly, to the words of St Paul. This is what I mean when I say this cross has been given to me and is a part of me.

"Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

2 Corinthians 12: 7-10

Temptation and weakness may not be taken away, but by the grace of Christ, I fight. By the grace of Christ, Satan will not claim my soul. He may tempt me and he may use judgmental hypocrites to discourage me. But he, and you, will lose in the end.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

3. Tim

Thank you Anonymous. You have spoken well and truly. I have always had a concern with the words heterosexual and homosexual. I realize that words are meant to convey certain ideas and sexual attractions runs deep in most people. I remember when I was in my twenties, the question gay or straight, hetreosexual or homosexual often came up. I always said that I refused to define myself sexually. The usually response was "so, you are bi?" "No, you can call me Christian, teacher, author or maybe something else but not heterosexual homosexual." One friend was adamant that I not answer the question in this way because people might think I was gay. But I did not care because I was trying to make a point. My concern is with people defining themselves sexually. Many people marry even if they want to. Many priests or nuns may struggle with lust even thought they do not want to. Sexual attraction is real but it one part of us. Maybe sexual is a big part of a person but not big enough for it to be the sole identifier of a person.

Now that I am married I find even less value in these terms. My sexuality is defined by my wife, not women in general. When I was in high school I felt firmly that the only appropriate titles were monogomous, celibate or other. I think there is still something do these three categories. Sexual tempation is a real struggle, but I think choosing one of the first two helps us acquire holiness. This is the goal, and it is a struggle.

4. Joselyn

I agree with Kathy and IL. Many would like to say that SSA is ok as long as it's not acted on. I've heard this from several SSA people that are in marriages and some will even go to "parades" and or "bars"...but not ACT on it! These people have NO business being in a heterosexual marriage when they are lusting after someone else of the same sex all the time. How can I say that?...

A person can see beauty without sexual attraction when it goes past seeing beauty it's lust. THAT'S the point. I can look at men, women, children and see beauty but if I'm "attracted" to them that's sinful because I'm a normal CHRISTIAN married woman. I can look at an actor and see beauty/handsomeness but when I say "he's hot" or "wowza" that's lust and it's sinful.

I'm one of those dinosaurs that believes God can and will set people free from this sin if and when they are willing to see it as God sees it as vile, abnormal, and perverse. But as long as a person sees themselves as a "victim" or relishes in their "cross" it's not going to go away. I've had several SSA people threaten me with violence because I dare say that they haven't truly forsaken it. It's so much easier for them to be a victim.

5. Dave

To ls: the purpose of having this story in a Catholic website is to stir our hearts to be open to ALL of our brothers and sisters, including those who struggle with SSA. In writing the article, Sonja is not asking you to accept the sin (read the Catechism - having SSA is not a sin), she is inviting you to stir your hearts to a greater and, yes, perhaps more difficult level of compassion.

Steve is bold and brave. His celibacy is a clear indication of his love for and devotion to our God and demonstrates his respect for God's order. His blog, with a title that some apparently find provocative, is by its nature apostolic and I laud him for it. He's taken a more difficult path than many others who carry this cross, and his victory will be all the sweeter.

My prayers are with you, Anonymous. Fight the good fight. You're on your way home, brother.

6. Sonja

Anonymous, You are exactly why I wanted to write this article, you and all the others who struggle in silence with little or no support. My prayers and penances are with you all...

Kathy, abey, ls, please read his blog and the other links I provided. Steve lives in purity and stands with the Church in ALL her teachings, so thank you for reading and commenting but back off and take your judgment elsewhere.

This article appears on a Catholic website because it is as much a Catholic issue as it is anything else, as are all issues.

7. David Carlon

Let's all hold hands and cry... what a bag of soppy, sentimental horse scat attempting to justifying a loathsome and degenerate lifestyle... what next? A koombaya moment for aficionados of bestiality?

8. Pamela

Make no mistake - there are two things that will destroy mankind - homosexuality and abortion. Period.
    Giving in to the temptation of same sex - sex, will destroy your life, your family, your relationship with God, and a tiny bit of society.
    I believe that if a person is completely convinced that they have to have the same sex for (a partner, lover, whatever) then it is right to remain celebate. A harsh reality, but a complete and total devotion to Jesus Christ is far more beautiful and satisfying that a carnal relationship with anyone.
    God Bless You!!

9. Billy Danner

This is an amazing story of courage and strength. These burdens people carry are something we need to accept and help through it. We as Catholics need to be the one's to stand up and offer that compassion and support.

10. TCS

I couldn't disagree with you more Kathy. There is a difference between having SSA and lust. Lusting for someone, same or opposite of your gender, is carnal. It is the strong desire to fornicate. Having a general attraction to the same sex is no different than heterosexual people. The question is, how far does it go. Is he biting at the chop ready to jump them on a moments notice? or is it something that he is aware of and it's like background noise.
    Priests are celibate, but you cannot tell me that at one point or another, they will not have an attraction to a woman.
    God probably looks at his heart and sees that he is carrying his cross as best he can.
    Good for you Steve.