Catholic, Gay, and Feeling Fine, Thanks: Part 1 Comments

The persecution and bigotry from both sides of the issue proceed, partly, from misunderstanding. Steve Gershom's simultaneous Catholicity and SSA are what is so compelling about his message. Ultimately he beautifully illustrates the tension between the beauty of faith and honest acknowledgment of the frail, wounded humanity in which we all live without pretending it does not exist or giving it sway over him. Continue Reading

1. Bible

Regarding this issue I do encourage you to read Leviticus 18.

If you are in a hurry Leviticus 18:22 is straight to the point.

Regards

2. Bulbajer

Pete, you don't have to know whether a certain person is homosexual, no. But you should be aware of the complex set of moral questions, confidence problems, discrimination, and temptation that homosexuals face that are, in general, less known than your average heterosexual personal issues. I think this man is trying to make people more aware of gays in general, not himself being gay.

3. vance

Pete Brady, I've asked the same question. I know many out here who don't want to know and don't care to know if someone is homosexual.

4. Pete Brady

Just one question: Why do any of us HAVE TO know that anyone else is "homosexual" or has a "same-sex attraction?"

5. JeanCatherine

Alice

The Courage Apostolate was instituted in New York City by Cardinal Cooke I believe and he appointed Father John Harvey to work with those with Same Sex Attraction. This is the best promotion I can give to everyone in the Catholic Community for understanding and compassion.

Please also look up Same Sex Attraction at Jean'sBistro2010's blog for other information.

The church also wrote an excellent Pastoral Paper regarding those who struggle with Same Sex Attraction please look for it on the USCCB or the Web. You maybe able to link or find it through Jean'sBistro2010's blog.

God Bless to everyone. Keep the faith and let us all be literate in Christ.

6. Judy

Hi Bulbajer and Alice: I will answer Bulbajer by saying, to both he and Alice: Alice's last articulation was great! Blessings.... Happpy Thanksgiving!

7. Alice

Judy, I didn't say the Church was out of date, I said that many secular counsellors find the Church "out of date" and are therefore often unhelpful to struggling individuals who seek guidance there while trying to discern the root cause of their SSA. They fail to see the conflict between SSA and faith, when they discount the Church as "out of date". I do not believe the Church is out of date. I do however believe that on some levels we are failing to communicate the great depth of truth that we have, because we jump straight to the call for repentance BEFORE we see the whole person in love as Jesus did. We seem to do this on many ethical and moral issues, when we are speaking to those with genuinely seeking hearts. Perhaps it is because we fear engaging in discussion on an issue that disgusts or threatens us. If we truly believe that we have a message of truth and love, then we have nothing to fear. Perhaps we sometimes comment too quickly without taking the care to properly understand the other's meaning.

8. vance

Alice, I'd like to follow up on one note. A person who has SSA can approach the "Laity" to get counseling and support if the individual has a sincere attitude to help himself. I agree that it would be difficult to approach family and friends with "I have SSA". People who say, "I have SSA and this is who I am" will be met with consternation and disappointment. BUT if the individual were to say, " I have SSA and I want you to help me out because I don't like it and I don't want anything to do with it", he would be greeted with the same enthusiasm as one who helps an elderly person across the street. At the end of the day, it is up to the individual to make a full effort to "Overcome" this dilemma. Contrary to the popular lie that Homosexuality is incureable, Not true. It is cureable with daily rosaries, frequent confessions, and receiving holy communion. It is like all addictions. They are cureable spiritually. If a person with SSA falls into temptation and sin, he needs to pick himself back up and continue to fight. When we were all kids, we learned to ride a bike, roller skate, or ski. But when we fell down, we all got back up and continued to ride our bicycles. It is the same principal. God bless.

9. Bulbajer

Judy, what was wrong with Alice's comment?

10. Judy

Sonja: Very good article to get so many responding. However, I have to ask: (1) What Church do you go to? Mine is not nearly so "out-of-date" w/Christ's Teaching. (2) Are you a Liberal Catholic? (If not, why did you make the remark to Alice to, "Preach it." (3) Are you an advocate of Equal Marriage? I know that you do not have to answer my questions. However, a good journalist stands behind what she writes to let her audience know where she is coming from. Blessings Always...