Catholic Education in America: Homeschooling is Not the Problem Comments

The "Catholic schools vs. Homeschool" attitude is tragic. Those who insist that Catholic parents have an obligation to send their children to Catholic schools need to stop guilt-tripping parents and impugning their motives and deal with reality. We're not the enemy of Catholic schools - we are Catholic schools. Continue Reading

1. Carl

While I would make exceptions for cases where there was no Catholic school; I cannot agree with the concept of homeschooling. Catholic schools are equipping children with the means to survive in a world of fierce competitors. They are doing so with the addition of giving each child a moral compass. The public schools cannot claim the last part. How well homeschooling equips children to face the world is debatable.

What homeschooling cannot do is provide children with the socialization that comes from a Catholic School. The Catholic classroom setting is a mix of souls. It prepares children to exist in a framework of differing personalities and to do so with the moral reality of the Church. You cannot have socialization when the only persons in the room are mom and your sibling. Are we not called to live in community with other Catholic Christians?

What homeschooling cannot do is provide the base of knowledge that a Catholic school has. To clarify, I am well versed in history, politics, and literature. I am academically weak in math and science. If my son were to learn these disciplines from me his education would be lacking. I am certain other parents, while intelligent, do not have the level of education needed to have mastered all subjects in a given curriculum.

What homeschooling cannot do is provide the materials needed to give a full and well rounded education to children. Unless you have a full physics and chemistry lab in your house you cannot compare to a good Catholic high school.

At the end of the argument, most home school parents want to send their kids to college, and there are no degree programs based on what happens in mom’s kitchen. In the world we live in today, you need a degree to succeed. There have been too many studies showing the improvement in the long range quality of life to argue against college.

I don’t claim to understand the mindset that complains about fundraising. If it were to feed the poor, or fund a hospital would there be such a hue and cry? Many Diocese and Archdiocese work hard to keep tuition rates below the real world costs to educate a child. The Diocese of Wichita is one example. The Big Shoulders Fund in Chicago is another.

Yes there are costs for sending your child to a Catholic school. Isn’t your child worth investing in?

2. Larry

What a beautiful message!
    Thank you so much for sharing....
    I am a Dr. of Education student attending online at Grand Canyon University.
    I am Catholic and pray that my services will someday benefit the Church.
    Homeschooling is indeed a wonderful and blessed opportunity to share and grow with our blessed children of God!
    Very Respectfully

3. Daniel Monzon

My wife and I have six children and the cost of Catholic school is prohibitive for us even with scholarships. We are home schooling and would like to know if Jennifer Hartline would be willing to share with us which curriculum she is using? We have used Seton and other supplemental materials.

4. Larry

The point of schools is to educate students - help them learn the ideas and skills they need to be prepared to function well in society once they are on their own. We need to know how to learn wherever we get our education (public, private, home, online schools, etc. If Catholic schools need the tuitiion of more students going there, that's a different issue. Whether we learned our Catholic faith from CCD, in a Catholic School, from parents, etc. we need to learn it. Learning the skills and ideas we need to know for life after 18+ years can be learned in many ways these days - and home schooling is one good valid way. Good Catholic parents will teach their children the faith and be involved in their faith community. How we get vocations (which are from more adult experiences and less on teen seminary schools these day) is a different matter. The Church faith community and the Church help inspire and open up our hearts to God's calling to some. Most aren't called and it is not a steady same number who decide to become priests, nuns, sisters, monks, brothers, etc. each decade, as you look over historical growth. Parents decide - but local priests, sisters and lay leaders need to teach and inspire us about our faith. That's where I think we fall short, not parents per se.

5. Leah

So my question is: What can I (we) do to fix these problems? If I (we) love our Church so much, I (we) would never abandon Her - especially during tough times. Instead of merely discussing the issues, let's talk about solutions. I agree wholeheartedly that there needs to be reform in Catholic Education, but I also hope to be an active member in that reformation, not a hindrance.

6. J. Bob

Excellent item.

One has to realize that not all Catholic schools emphasize religion. I know of one instance personally, where non-Catholics were teaching Catholic doctrine.

7. Amanda

Thankk you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This article is awesome. My husband and I homeschool our 5 children for the very same reasons you have listed and we have also gotten the gilt from our local priests. They will get the hint...the easy way or the hard way. Catholic schools must change their outrageous tuition if they expect to stay open. God bless our Church! And you for writing such a wonderful article!!!

8. Sonja Corbitt

I agree that the us-versus-them argument is worn out. We have an excellent Catholic school option, but it is completely cost-prohibitive for us and our family, and I am so glad you pointed out (some of) the "hidden costs" associated with it. It's incredible how little money it takes to give your child a Catholic education, field trips and labs included (my 12 year old consistently tests post-high school in the majority of his subjects and above grade level in all; my four year old began reading this year). But that is still not why we homeschool. We do it because it has forged incredible bonds of love and faith in our home. I wouldn't trade that for any argument, guilt trip, or second full-time income.

9. JP

We are only to follow our religious leaders to the extent they follow Christ. It would be wrong, and foolish, to send our children to any school, Catholic or otherwise, no matter what anyone says, if it is against our highest sense of God's direct guidance of what is right for our own individual families.

10. Cee Why

At one time I believe that Catholic parochial education was excellent; and in some areas, even superior. However, now the students reflect that very naivete that they are superior. The insolence, immaturity, and overbearance of students that I witnessed in Catholic schools was shocking. ( I had the opportunity of working with high school students throughout a large thirteen county area). Teachers seemed to mollycoddle and overattend their every want and need ------just like an inexperienced babysitter who is afraid the baby will cry and wake up the neighbors. Catholic schools need to wake up--they do not lead in education any more, and the fallacy that their is a moral obligation to send kids to Catholic school is inane. Thank God and bless the parents who teach their children at home.