University of St. Thomas Campus Ministry Hosts Las Posadas
Las Posadas have been known primarily in Spanish, but this one has been adopted for a bilingual audience
The University of St. Thomas Campus Ministry will celebrate the 4th Annual Las Posadas at 7 p.m. on Nov. 30. Las Posadas re-enacts Mary and Joseph's quest for a place to stay in Bethlehem in a procession around the campus.
UST's Las Posadas, led by the Rev. Mike Buentello, CSB, chaplain and director of Campus Ministry, will begin in front of Guinan Hall, where students, staff, friends and visitors will sing "Pidiendo Posada," the traditional Mexican folk tune sung at all posadas. He will be accompanied by two young actors dressed as Mary and Joseph, along with a live donkey.
Father Buentello will lead the group down Yoakum Boulevard with spontaneous stops along the way. The procession ends in front of the Chapel of St. Basil with another Mexican folk tune, "Entren Peregrinos," which translates to "Pilgrims Enter."
"Las Posadas have been known primarily in Spanish, but this one has been adopted for a bilingual audience," said Father Buentello. "The essence stays the same."
Father Buentello will be joined by UST students who will lead the procession by singing and playing musical instruments.
Vincent Perez, a sophomore business major, will play guitar again this year as he leads the audience in song.
"In college, this is the most involved I have been with Las Posadas," Perez said. "I like how everyone gets together to do it, Spanish speaker or not, because it's primarily a Hispanic-rooted practice."
Afterward, Campus Ministry will provide fellowship at the Campus Ministry House.
"It's a great way to share our culture and faith with other people," Perez said.
For additional information, contact Campus Ministry at 713-525-3589.
The University of St. Thomas, dedicated to educating leaders of faith and character, is a private institution committed to the liberal arts and to the religious, ethical and intellectual tradition of Catholic higher education. St. Thomas is Houstonís only Catholic University and was founded by the Basilian Fathers.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- University of St. Thomas Honors Research Goes 6 Feet Under
- What the devil?! Bill Gates wants your college info so he can tell you what classes to take
- Two Cardinals, a Theologian and a Historian to Lecture at the University of St. Thomas
- Women Succeed in UST Engineering, CUA is New Partner
- Mardi Gras King, Queen Exemplify UST Mission
- 40 Celts March for Life in Washington
- GRACE Goes International With Irish Teachers
- Seven in 10 college students graduate with loan debt
- Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, Orsy No Evil: Georgetown University and Catholic Identity
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?