Franciscan University of Steubenville Takes Stand to Respect and Protect Life
University eliminates insurance for students to avoid moral pitfall.
Franciscan University has taken a commendable moral stand.
The announcement on the university website read in part, "The Obama Administration has mandated that all health insurance plans must cover 'women's health services' including contraception, sterilization, and abortion-causing medications as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)."
"Up to this time, Franciscan University has specifically excluded these services and products from its student health insurance policy, and we will not participate in a plan that requires us to violate the consistent teachings of the Catholic Church on the sacredness of human life."
The Obama administration has disregarded the University's Catholic identity and the protections of the First Amendment to the US Constitution. It has made a false claim that an exemption exists for schools like Franciscan University. It does not. There is no guarantee that funds paid into insurance plans with this alleged exemption will not facilitate the funding of abortions and abortion inducing drugs, because money is inherently fungible.
Tragically, this excellent University is faced with a choice which it should never have had to make! It can violate one of the fundamental tenets of the Catholic faith and the Natural Law - that all human life is sacred - or it can not provide health insurance to its students.
While the result, that over 3,000 students will be without health care, at least from the University, is regrettable, there is no constitutional or legal requirement that private entities provide health insurance.
Secondly, the Franciscan University of Steubenville and all Church related outreaches have a right to the protections of the freedom of religion and conscience - even if the Obama Administration does not respect the First Amendment to the Constitution.
This sad result will soon be multipied throughout the Nation if the unconstitutional mandate issued by the Health and Human Services Department is not rescinded. The value of human life trumps all other considerations.
Franciscan University is showing trendous integrity and courage in its dealings - an example others would do well to consider.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Franciscan University, Ohio, HHS, edict, abortion
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- Dr. Beena George Named New UST Cameron Dean
- UST Honors Student Sings Her Way to Grad School
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez at Franciscan University: In this Time of Mission
- Brother and Sister Plant It Forward at UST
- UST's Macias Accepted to Thomistic Seminar
- UST's Taco Tasting Raises $35,000 for Scholarships
- Hattrup Dissertation Unanimously Passed at UST
- Learning Knows No Age for Grad
- UST Grad Speaker Highlights Leading with Faith, Character
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?