'Hey, Hey We're the Monkees' Davy Jones has died
TV, pop star dies from heart attack at the age of 66
He was the mop-topped Brit who sang the lead to all of the Monkees'
greatest hits, such as "Daydream Believer," Pleasant Valley Sunday" and
"Last Train to Clarksville." Singer Davy Jones has died, from a heart
attack at the age of 66.
Although the group officially disbanded in 1971, Davy Jones sang solo as well as with various reincarnations of the group. He enjoyed particular longevity as a popular singer in Japan, releasing his final album in 2009.
"The only thing we can do is confirm that he has died of a heart attack at Indiantown, Florida this morning," his rep Helen Kensick told television reporters. "We will have more later."
"The District 19 Medical Examiner's office has been notified of the death of Mr. Davy Jones," spokeswoman Rebecca Shortridge said. "We are currently evaluating whether or not the medical examiner's office will take jurisdiction."
Named in 2008 by Yahoo Music as the top teen idol of all time, Jones rocketed to fame as the member of the Monkees TV show. As a popular TV show and touring rock band, the Monkees sold more than 50 million records.
Although the group officially disbanded in 1971, Jones sang solo as well as with various reincarnations of the group. He enjoyed particular longevity as a popular singer in Japan, releasing his final album in 2009.
Jones also acted on stage and screen, with his most famous TV appearance as himself on "The Brady Bunch," in an episode where Marcia Brady was the president of his fan club and tried to get the singer to appear at her school dance. He also played Fagin in "Oliver!" on Broadway. He recently played himself on an episode of "SpongeBob Square Pants."
The Monkees originally planned to tour last summer, with members Jones, Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz as the band, minus Michael Nesmith - who has since divested himself from the group. The tour was later canceled due to internal conflict.
Jones performed in Oklahoma earlier this month. A native of Manchester, England, is survived by his wife, Jessica, and four daughters from previous marriages.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Davy Jones, Monkees, TV show, pop star, teen idol
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Music News
- Doors' keyboardist Ray Manzarek dies from cancer
- Blonde songstress of Abba to release new album after years of silence
- Father Pontifex is back with The Symphony and the Static
- Folk singer and Woodstock icon Richie Havens dies at 72
- Backstreet Boys are back - new album, star, world tour upcoming
- Listen to the oldest song in the world here! Can you guess how old it is?
- 'Pope of Pop' Phil Ramone dies at the age of 79
- Bobbie Smith, singer for The Spinners, dies from respiratory illnesses
- Goth rocker Peter Murphy arrested for methamphetamine
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?