Father's Day families flock to see ‘Man of Steel’
Superman epic soars to $200.3 million in first four days
Everyone got it in their head to take dad to the movies this Father's Day Weekend, and the latest Superman epic, "Man of Steel" was the film to see. Raking in $200.3 million in just four days, crowds ignored negative or mixed reviews to make it this weekend's box office champ.
Moviegoers ignored mostly negative reviews to make "Man of Steel" the top movie of this past weekend.
Even with a running time of two hours and 23 minutes, the Chris Nolan-Zack Snyder-David S. Goyer-Henry Cavill PG-13 "tent pole" release set a new June best-ever opening weekend record.
"Man of Steel" was the best debut of 2013 behind only Disney/Marvel's "Iron Man 3." Internationally, Warner Bros says "Man of Steel" ranked #1 everywhere with a gross of $71.6M from 9,710 screens in the 24 overseas markets in release.
"In North America, Superman audiences thumbed their noses at the negative reviews from film critics and gave it an "A-" CinemaScore. Man of Steel' beat all expectations," a Warner Bros executive says.
Sony/Columbia Pictures' raunchy apocalyptic comedy "This Is The End" came in at second. With a dearth of both "R"-rated movies or comedies in the marketplace, "This is the End" raked in $32.8 million over a five-day period, which is what it cost to produce.
The Top Ten at the nation's movies theaters went like this:
1. "Man of Steel"
2. "This is the End"
3. "Now You See Me"
4. "Fast & Furious 6"
5. "The Purge"
6. "The Internship"
8. "Star Trek Into Darkness"
9. "After Earth"
10. "Iron Man 3"
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- Check out how they built the ark for the movie NOAH!
- Seriousness - and light frivolity - highlight the 2014 Academy Awards
- South Korean film speaks out against Samsung's disregard for safety
- Grace Unplugged Based on Many True Stories
- Heroes that saved European art treasures during World War II remembered in 'The Monuments Men'
- Silver screen legend Peter O'Toole dies at 81
- 'Billy Jack' Tom Laughlin dies at the age of 82
- Two lost Peter Sellers shorts to be screened at festival
- 'The Sound of Music' star Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?